Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I'm trying to ascertain whether I have a software or hardware issue - I think it's the former but some input on this would be a great help. I've encountered numerous sleep/wake problems with more recent versions of macOS on my 13" Mid-2012 MBP so for the purposes of testing, I've reverted it to the default Mountain Lion in order to check at what stage among the releases that these problems appeared.

My method is to let the battery run down and wait for the reserve battery power warning to be displayed at 5%. When the battery reaches 1% the MBP appears to enter the safe sleep mode and switches off. When I connect it to the mains and press the power button, the computer immediately switches on - without the Mac chime and rebooting process, instantly displays the log-in screen and when I provide my password, the session is restored. It's almost certainly restoring rather than reopening.

What confuses me here is that I've always been accustomed to the brief gray screen with a progress bar that indicates your Mac is resuming from safe sleep - this doesn't happen. I found this thread about the safe sleep mode and checked that it's enabled:

Code:
pmset -g | grep hibernate

"hibernatemode 3" and the location of the hibernation file were returned, which confirmed that the correct configuration is in place. Has anyone else experienced this macOS foregoing the gray screen and progress bar when resuming from safe sleep? I welcome your comments and opinions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.