Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZD_plguy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2019
I placed order for new Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 which is 2-in-1 laptop. Its got good deal and it seems only disadvantage is just 1080p. But some comments and forum threads commenting on hairline screen crack issue some people easily get has me concerned.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't don't own one, and I haven't heard of this issue - just googling the "screen cracking on galaxy book" presents a lot of hits. I'd say its something that a lot of people are talking about. To that point I'd say it isn't over blown

ZD_plguy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2019
I don't don't own one, and I haven't heard of this issue - just googling the "screen cracking on galaxy book" presents a lot of hits. I'd say its something that a lot of people are talking about. To that point I'd say it isn't over blown
Sigh I was hoping the revised version Book2 would not longer have this issue and saw a lot less complaints about it. But if the screen display is just as think, flex as on original it can probably also easily break.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I placed order for new Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 which is 2-in-1 laptop. Its got good deal and it seems only disadvantage is just 1080p. But some comments and forum threads commenting on hairline screen crack issue some people easily get has me concerned.
I have Pro 360 , my son the Book2 and my wife the Book S all no issues

If anything touchscreen laptops are stronger than standard ones so not sure where this comes from :)

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
It is a great looking laptop and it is very lightweight. The problem with making such a lightweight laptop is that it could have a weak point.

I bought a book 2 360 but I didn’t like the screen which had an odd graininess to it so I exchanged it for the book 2 pro 360. It seemed like the screen was very delicate. The non pro was thicker and had less flex. The pro was extremely thin and had a lot of flex to it. It seemed to me that if I were to close the lid from one side it could break if I used just a little too much force.

I would tend to think 2 in ones are stronger but the book 2 pro 360 seemed fragile. I went on the Samsung forums and read some complaints of the screen breaking and I decided to return it.

It is such a shame because it is a really nice laptop and I love how light it is for its size. I would guess the 15.6” is a bit more fragile than the 13.3” model so maybe you could try that. I think you will just have to see for yourself how it is made and determine if you think it will be prone to cracking.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yep very subjective especially by just looking at design, if you google or even search the forums here on MacBook's you will find plenty of hits on screen cracks that are bounced by Apple warranty on something that is supposedly has a high build quality and a more rigid lid :)

Anders2022

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2022
Yes, my screen on the flex2 has just developed a hairline crack and Samsung are refusing to accept its a screen defect. I use the 360 flip screen to present work and use the pen and touch screen. I transport the laptop in a protected case and are very careful with it. There has been no impact to the laptop and only normal use. I sent photos on request to show the laptop is in as new condition. Not a Mark on it but they want £350 to replace the screen with no guarantee that it won't happen again. I wouldn't purchase thus laptop again.

JenniLynn03

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2023
I know I'm late to this, but it is definitely not overblown! I've never broken ANY electronic device, but I've got the pro 360 2 with a crack from the very top (by the camera) to the very bottom. I heard it crack when I was opening the laptop, that was it, it's never been dropped or sat on or misused in any way, and yet, OPENING it cracked it. Samsung won't do anything about it because it is a physical defect. I had it from April to December and it's January and I just had to buy another laptop because I need to be able to draw on it, which I don't feel comfortable doing with a crack all the way across the screen. Samsung tried to tell me its not a well known issue, and that no one has any open tickets for it, despite people complaining about it EVERYWHERE.

Reactions: DaPhox

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Yep very subjective especially by just looking at design, if you google or even search the forums here on MacBook's you will find plenty of hits on screen cracks that are bounced by Apple warranty on something that is supposedly has a high build quality and a more rigid lid :)
Have you ever used a Galaxy Book 2 360?

Reading forums is one thing but actually holding one in your hands and using it are a bit different.

I don't doubt many people have no issues but despite myself being very careful with electronics it seemed rather fragile to a point that it could easily break.

I have had MacBooks and although the M1 MBA seems prone to a similar issue the rigidity of the screen is different.

You can't defy physics and the structural integrity is suspect on the newer Galaxy books in my opinion.

I think they are wonderfully designed otherwise.

Reactions: DaPhox

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Have you ever used a Galaxy Book 2 360?

Reading forums is one thing but actually holding one in your hands and using it are a bit different.

I don't doubt many people have no issues but despite myself being very careful with electronics it seemed rather fragile to a point that it could easily break.

I have had MacBooks and although the M1 MBA seems prone to a similar issue the rigidity of the screen is different.

You can't defy physics and the structural integrity is suspect on the newer Galaxy books in my opinion.

I think they are wonderfully designed otherwise.
I own a Galaxy Book 1 360 :) My son has the Galaxy Book 1 and my Wife the Book S along with our Razers, MB and Surface laptops

What physics ? many things are designed to flex LOL

I always recall the 747 wing is designed to flex 34ft which is quite amazing

There was a great deal of misconception on rigidity eg on 4x4 vehicals people thought they were safer in a more ridged and strong vehicle until crash tests and crumple zones showed different

Perceptions a bit like postings on social media and forums they are often very subjective. Whilst I sympathize with the users posting above you can read the same thing about most OEM's screens, crap happens :)

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I own a Galaxy Book 1 360 :) My son has the Galaxy Book 1 and my Wife the Book S along with our Razers, MB and Surface laptops

What physics ? many things are designed to flex LOL

I always recall the 747 wing is designed to flex 34ft which is quite amazing

There was a great deal of misconception on rigidity eg on 4x4 vehicals people thought they were safer in a more ridged and strong vehicle until crash tests and crumple zones showed different

Perceptions a bit like postings on social media and forums they are often very subjective. Whilst I sympathize with the users posting above you can read the same thing about most OEM's screens, crap happens :)
Well glass is not very flexible which was the point I was making in case you missed it? Glass breaks when flexed and is not designed to flex unless it is a special type of glass.

So a flexible screen backing or one with less rigidity will put more tension on the glass and if flexed enough a failure point.

Anyway it is great you have not had any issues.

Personally I find the Galaxy book screens to be less rigid and thinner than I would like. I love how light the laptops are. I guess you have to have either a heavier device being more sturdy or a lighter device that is less sturdy.

There is no wrong choice but I guess despite my carefulness I am still a clutz so I prefer strength.

In terms of a perfect balance I would say MacBooks have the best of both worlds bring light while still being sturdy.

Of course these are just my personal opinion and experiences with the various devices. I am not wrong but I am not right either. It is all a matter of perspective and personal preference.

Oh and the things you mentioned like a wing and 4x4 are designed to flex up to a certain point. I have never heard of glass screens of laptops being designed to flex unless they are specifically designed to do so like a phone with a flexible screen that is generally made out of plastic or hybrid type of some kind.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Well glass is not very flexible which was the point I was making in case you missed it? Glass breaks when flexed and is not designed to flex unless it is a special type of glass.

So a flexible screen backing or one with less rigidity will put more tension on the glass and if flexed enough a failure point.

Anyway it is great you have not had any issues.

Personally I find the Galaxy book screens to be less rigid and thinner than I would like. I love how light the laptops are. I guess you have to have either a heavier device being more sturdy or a lighter device that is less sturdy.

There is no wrong choice but I guess despite my carefulness I am still a clutz so I prefer strength.

In terms of a perfect balance I would say MacBooks have the best of both worlds bring light while still being sturdy.

Of course these are just my personal opinion and experiences with the various devices. I am not wrong but I am not right either. It is all a matter of perspective and personal preference.

Oh and the things you mentioned like a wing and 4x4 are designed to flex up to a certain point. I have never heard of glass screens of laptops being designed to flex unless they are specifically designed to do so like a phone with a flexible screen that is generally made out of plastic or hybrid type of some kind.
Most things flex to a degree without splitting hairs :)

If you remember the great fuss over iPad not being flat LOL

Perhaps I am less sensitive about screens having gone through many carbon fiber laptops years back that are far more flexible and deflect easily

My Razer's are like MB's and fairly ridged and will only deflect say 5mm corner to corner under reasonable thumb pressure, which is not a natural occurrence when raising the lid :)

Yes the Book Pro's are less ridged and deflect easier than our MB's or Razer's however that does not mean they are not design to allow for this :)

Nextgenratpack

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2023
Yep.

I've had the laptop less than a year and I've had the mysterious hairline crack appear from the top of the screen all the way to the bottom.

No caused damage.

Used it fine in the morning, then after lunch the hairline crack was there.

Shambles.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Well I had previously noted you find many reports for all OEM's with screen issues and wish I had not :(

I recently bought a MBP14M2 but fancied the Air but with the pending and now confirmed Air15, like many the Pro was better overall value IMO

However 3 days in to my new laptop and yep a completely defective screen on a so called high end quality product :rolleyes:

The only replacement my local dealer had was the MBP16M2 or wait 10 days for a standard replacement from Apple

So yep it happens to them all

Apr 12, 2023
Hope they handle it better than apple did with their macbook pro screen cracking fiasco. Apple told their users to get lost.

I have never had a screen crack on me other than when my husky stepped on my notebook on the couch. Even then it was not the screen itself that cracked, it was some part of the display inside where it would make connection intermittently.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Most things flex to a degree without splitting hairs :)

If you remember the great fuss over iPad not being flat LOL

Perhaps I am less sensitive about screens having gone through many carbon fiber laptops years back that are far more flexible and deflect easily

My Razer's are like MB's and fairly ridged and will only deflect say 5mm corner to corner under reasonable thumb pressure, which is not a natural occurrence when raising the lid :)

Yes the Book Pro's are less ridged and deflect easier than our MB's or Razer's however that does not mean they are not design to allow for this :)

Well I like the Galaxy book laptops but I have heard a lot of reports of the screen breaking and Samsung response is that the user caused it and it is accidental damage so they will not cover it under warranty.

I personally returned one I got because I didn't want to end up being one of the people with that issue.

The regular Galaxybook 2 is a lot more rigid than the 360 pro. I just wanted a larger screen.

I have a Lenovo 7i laptop and it is super solid. No flex anywhere.

Maybe I am just paranoid but the Galaxy book 2 pro 360 just feels like an accident waiting to happen. If you don't see an issue with it, it is your money.

I hope in future iterations they make the screen a little more solid. I would love to get a Galaxy book pro 360 one day because I think it would go great with my s23 ultra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.