Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Folks - what protocol does screen mirroring use and is it Airplay 2? Here's what I'm trying to achieve. I often use Apple Music/airplay to play through my Denon sound receiver. We like to sing as a family (no mic needed) and I tried doing screen mirroring with my iPhone to the TV but then it started playing song through the TV. Any way to continue playing sound to the Denon? I guess not and my only option would be perhaps to connect an HDMI cable from TV to do an audio pass-through to the Denon correct? Would I lose audio quality with hi-res lossless with screen mirroring in this setup?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes, you need TV Arc/e-Arc connection to DENON receiver to do what you are trying to do.

Or add an AppleTV and then "toss" the audio to AppleTV, which will then flow the signal into the Denon, which will pass the audio to your speakers and video on to your TV.

Or, airplay audio from phone to Denon instead of to TV.

Else, cable connect phone to Denon (you probably need a hub/dongle to get an audio output jack): phone USB to hub, hub audio jack to Denon.

If you are perhaps trying to get a video on screen at the same time- maybe karaoke???- the AppleTV option will do that or hub/dongle with HDMI out to Denon. I’m guessing you can’t airplay to Denon. If that’s wrong, AirPlay to Denon and it will “toss” video & audio: video will flow on to TV, audio to speakers attached to Denon.

Last edited:

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
I can do AirPlay to Apple TV but as soon I do screen mirroring, the video and audio from phone switches to screen mirroring which won’t support hi-res lossless audio, how do I get around that?

If earc is the solution, can you explain that a little more?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
You need to define "lossless". Airplay doesn't support greater than CD quality.

As for CD quality "lossless" - it is complicated.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 00.32.28.png

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
I had no idea. Oddly enough my iTunes through a DAC which is then connected to my Denon doesn't sound as good as playing through Airplay. Do you folks think Airplay 2 could get software upgrades in the future to support Hi-res lossless or this is likely to be in Airplay 3 which will also require a new receiver?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
While anything is possible, my guess is probably not on lossless upgrade to Airplay 2. Lossless basically begs for a wired connection. A hypothetical Airplay 3 could bring it but I've not seen one rumor for Airplay 3.

Since you have an AppleTV, you don't need the eArc option I referenced. I was assuming you were needing to airplay to/through your TV to try to get sound to the Receiver. With AppleTV connected to Receiver, you should be able to Airplay to it and it sound as good as Airplay can sound.

If you want a quality upgrade, buy a dongle/hub for that phone with HDMI out and then connect it via HDMI directly to the Denon. That will push video & audio through the Hub then through the HDMI connection and the Denon will then flow the audio to your speakers and the video to your TV.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Proximity is apparently key to that, which works with the sending device and receiving device only a few millimeters apart. I don’t know if that can work when sender & receiver grow to meters and/or rooms apart without some new standard- as OP suggested- different enough to get tagged AirPlay 3… and prob not be compatible for this kind of feature with all of the AirPlay 2 tech already in place.

Could whatever bit of tech in Vpro that facilitates it be sold separately and then connected to a Receiver so that a user could put their iDevice within mms of it for lossless? Conceptually yes, if Apple is willing to sell such a device. I presume the new magic here is something within Vpro, so whatever that is MIGHT be built into the next gen of iDevices too, giving them the ability to “throw” lossless at a very short distance.

If so, someone upgrades their iDevices to get the send tech and buys some kind of AirPod 2 tech receiver with audio output jacks to plug into Receivers. That seems quite plausible. But would Apple make such a device? TBD.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.