Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
this for me is the most exciting announcement of today’s keynote.. is it already possible to create your own workflows? Or do apps need to be updated in the fall in order for this to work?

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Third party apps will need to be updated to support although it is currently possible to create some now using Apple’s native apps.

It’s achieved via the settings app currently and not the dedicated interface outlined in the keynote so will no doubt get fleshed out over subsequent betas

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Apps will need to be updated to support although it is currently possible to create some now using Apple’s own apps.

It’s achieved via the settings app currently and not the dedicated interface outlined in the keynote so will no doubt get fleshed out over subsequent betas
I see, so still very early stages..
I’m excited about it!
Hope it will work nicely with many apps, and especially maybe as a work around for current language limitations when working with foreign languages, like speaking a German Siri command containing an english app title... my worst annoyance with Siri these days!
Do you know if it’ll allow for us to speak our own commands which she’ll remember from then on?

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Apps need to be updated. Some beta APIs are out to integrate the functionality. I'm trying a few things out with my own apps but the app hook is a bit convoluted and quite buggy right now. I hope Apple will be able to fix these bugs soon, plus there may be great things coming from other developers. This will probably be quite nice when it's 6 months after iOS 12 is out of beta.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Only with the suggested actions in Siri settings. The Shortcuts app will be downloadable.

I did notice that the suggested actions as they are now do support some third party apps - namely Twitter.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Do you know if it’ll allow for us to speak our own commands which she’ll remember from then on?
Certainly seems like this will be possible to get around the language conflict. You simply select the app/task and speak out the phrase you will invoke with Siri in future. She offers up suggestions depending on the task but you must define a command with your voice

Reactions: chfilm

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Download the workflow app and you’ll get all the features except Siri support.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This is one of the things I’m looking forward to most. If this was fully working right now then I’d probably have installed the beta on my iPhone X despite that being a terrible idea.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I use Workflow to add entries into the Health app and it works really well and fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.