Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I have a few questions for those who have owned both iPhone and Android phone. I have an iPodTouch. It is very easy and reliable to sync/backup between the Mac and the device. I suppose this applies to iPhone as well. How easy and reliable it is to sync/backup between Mac and Android phone? What program do you use? I heard that the Kies from Samsung is not that good. Any user experience appreciated. Thanks.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Its not even comparable because there really are no good programs to do this for any android device. Even for windows there arent any, I beleive there is an aftrmarket solution but cant remember the name. When i had android i just used titanium backup to backup my apps that were on the device but as far as media it was just manual transfer from computer to phone

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Titanium Backup - automatically backups up all your apps and system data and syncs them to dropbox. can be scheduled automatically.
Dropbox - automatically syncs your pictures to dropbox
Google - automatically syncs anything you have on your google account (mail, searches, calendars, contacts, music etc) to your phone and vice versa.

I actually find itunes unreliable when it comes to backups. I lost my whole collection of movies and pictures cause I thought I was fully backed up. So I did a wipe and restore on my iphone only to find out that it deleted my whole collection. Icloud only stores like the last 1000 pictures and Itunes only backups up system data.

As far as syncing offline music then I'd have to see android is faster but itunes is more convenient. Android is faster cause its just a matter of moving music files from your computer to your phone through usb or wifi and its done. Itunes is more convenient cause if you were already using itunes as your music player you can just hit the sync button and all your playlists and music data is going to be transferred to your iphone.

As far as syncing apps, well I can just search on google for the apps on my macbook and it will take me to the google play store website. Then I just click on the install button on that page and it will automatically send that app to my phone. This is infinitely faster than searching for apps in the itunes store.

Overal I'd say android is better than itunes by a huge margin.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I actually find itunes unreliable when it comes to backups. I lost my whole collection of movies and pictures cause I thought I was fully backed up. So I did a wipe and restore on my iphone only to find out that it deleted my whole collection. Icloud only stores like the last 1000 pictures and Itunes only backups up system data.

Are you talking about the camera roll? That should be backed up. They didn't come back? And by 'movies' you mean videos you shot with your iPhone? Same thing...they should have all been in there. Did you ever find the backup file and look at its size?

What I'm getting at is, I wonder if it was a backup problem or a restore problem.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Are you talking about the camera roll? That should be backed up. They didn't come back? And by 'movies' you mean videos you shot with your iPhone? Same thing...they should have all been in there. Did you ever find the backup file and look at its size?

What I'm getting at is, I wonder if it was a backup problem or a restore problem.

Well I did a search and there were other people that had the same problem so I assumed that I was never going to get my pictures and videos from my camera roll back. And I tried everything in itunes to get them back. I could only get the last 1000 pictures of my roll back

Where is the backup file?

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Titanium Backup - automatically backups up all your apps and system data and syncs them to dropbox. can be scheduled automatically.
Google - automatically syncs anything you have on your google account (mail, searches, calendars, contacts, music etc) to your phone and vice versa.

As far as syncing offline music then I'd have to see android is faster but itunes is more convenient. Android is faster cause its just a matter of moving music files from your computer to your phone through usb or wifi and its done. Itunes is more convenient cause if you were already using itunes as your music player you can just hit the sync button and all your playlists and music data is going to be transferred to your iphone.

As far as syncing apps, well I can just search on google for the apps on my macbook and it will take me to the google play store website. Then I just click on the install button on that page and it will automatically send that app to my phone. This is infinitely faster than searching for apps in the itunes store.

I have to agree, my GSII synchs fine with my Mac's. Love being able to mount the phone and quickly move whatever files I want to whatever folder/group I want and then unmount and not deal with iTunes quirks and slowness.

But yeh Google sync's all main stuff (contacts, calendar etc). You have Titanium Backup (Pro version too), My Backup Pro. For music Double Twist was kinda mehh in the past but it's improved now, iSyncr is supposed to be really good too.... both would be for integrating with your iTunes to sync media from it if you want. Klies is better than it used to be too.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

I think it depends on each individual user. I personally don't use Google for mail, calendar, etc and we use iDevices/Macs exclusively in our home so syncing is a breeze with iCloud. We use iTunes for all of our media as well so syncing music/video is also very easy. In fact, I don't ever actually plug our devices into the computer as Wifi sync can handle everything. I have never used an Android device for an extended period of time so while I'm sure everything can be synced, I don't see how it could be any easier than our current setup.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I think it depends on each individual user. I personally don't use Google for mail, calendar, etc and we use iDevices/Macs exclusively in our home so syncing is a breeze with iCloud. We use iTunes for all of our media as well so syncing music/video is also very easy. In fact, I don't ever actually plug our devices into the computer as Wifi sync can handle everything. I have never used an Android device for an extended period of time so while I'm sure everything can be synced, I don't see how it could be any easier than our current setup.

Yep. Icloud does work well except it should come with a warning that it only syncs like 1000 pictures and it starts deleting your old pictures and many other annoying things. Also at one point my icloud account was full so it wouldn't allow me to make new backups/sync new data. And every time my iphone was plugged in and on wifi I would always get this annoying message that my icloud account didn't have enough space. It became a chore so in the end I just gave up on it. I also had the problem which I mentioned before and that really made me upset.

With dropbox/google combo it just seems like I have no limit at all to the amount of data. I got like 25gigs of storage on my dropbox account and like 20.000 songs on my google account. And it worked just better for me than the icloud/itunes combo. It is also more universal and better integrated. I can easily switch out my macbook for a crappy p4 PC and ditch my android phone for a iphone 3gs and still have all my data ready and synced.

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Hello, I have a few questions for those who have owned both iPhone and Android phone. I have an iPodTouch. It is very easy and reliable to sync/backup between the Mac and the device. I suppose this applies to iPhone as well. How easy and reliable it is to sync/backup between Mac and Android phone? What program do you use? I heard that the Kies from Samsung is not that good. Any user experience appreciated. Thanks.

Motocast from Verizon syncs my Razr Maxx and Mac better than my iPhone and Mac

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I have to agree, my GSII synchs fine with my Mac's. Love being able to mount the phone and quickly move whatever files I want to whatever folder/group I want and then unmount and not deal with iTunes quirks and slowness.

Which program do you use?

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
i had a few droids and i still have a razor maxx in my desk and now i have iPhone there is nothing that will sync better then itunes when ever i had to do a reset on the droid i had to reconfigure everything all the backups did was bring some apps iTunes does it all very efficient i haven't found anything close for the droid.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How easy and reliable it is to sync/backup between Mac and Android phone? What program do you use? I heard that the Kies from Samsung is not that good. Any user experience appreciated. Thanks.
For syncing what, specifically?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Which program do you use?

That's the point. You don't have to use anything for media. Just drag your music to the Android and you're done. Use Google for everything else. Oh, and just backup your messages with any number of backup apps. Finally, if you root, the you can use Titanium Backup to backup apps and even the data.. You can even do this for only one app, afeature sorely lacking in iTunes.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
That's the point. You don't have to use anything for media. Just drag your music to the Android and you're done. Use Google for everything else. Oh, and just backup your messages with any number of backup apps. Finally, if you root, the you can use Titanium Backup to backup apps and even the data.. You can even do this for only one app, afeature sorely lacking in iTunes.

Well copying all music is only faster the first time. Then you have to SYNC for future changes, which requires software. iSync is pretty good at syncing your iTunes library, playlists and all. And PlayerPro is an excellent music player, much better than the iPod app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.