Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Right now you can go on T-Mobile's site and pay $145.99 "up front" for an iPhone 5. Then they bill you monthly until the phone is paid off. My mother is looking to switch to T-Mobile, and I told her to wait until the 5S. Has anyone heard whether or not this type of pricing will be available at launch? I haven't heard anything out of T-Mobile yet, and the Apple website just shows the full price unlocked version. Thanks!

paulyeo

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
yes if you purchase directly from T-Mobile. Apple stores and apple online will only offer the unlocked iPhone 5C/5S at the retail off contract prices.

Gary500

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
The real question is, will it be easier to get an iPhone 5S on launch day at an actual Apple Store or at a T-Mobile store?

mdcosta911

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Washington, DC
Right now you can go on T-Mobile's site and pay $145.99 "up front" for an iPhone 5. Then they bill you monthly until the phone is paid off. My mother is looking to switch to T-Mobile, and I told her to wait until the 5S. Has anyone heard whether or not this type of pricing will be available at launch? I haven't heard anything out of T-Mobile yet, and the Apple website just shows the full price unlocked version. Thanks!

I just chatted with a rep on their site- they said its confirmed internally that the pricing options will be the same for the 5C and 5S, payment plans available through their store/online site. And they said it's possible stores will have the 32 and 64 GB models. Hope so!!

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Seeing the Apple stock behave yesterday, I think there is not going to be a shortage of iPhone 5S. It is unlikely to attract Android users and will be mainly a replacement cycle for existing iPhone users. There was no wow factor there.
The real question is, will it be easier to get an iPhone 5S on launch day at an actual Apple Store or at a T-Mobile store?

mdcosta911

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Washington, DC

Looks like t-mobile.com just changed the text on the iPhone banner from "Pre-register" to "Learn more". Probably caused some wording confusion with 'pre-order'. Nonetheless, they should be announcing the price plans soon...

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
YES! they do that for every phone, thats how it is for tmobile now. every phone is required a down payment then monthly payments. all phones, every phone, and in the future.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
YES! they do that for every phone, thats how it is for tmobile now. every phone is required a down payment then monthly payments. all phones, every phone, and in the future.

Just remember they can be somewhat picky about extending credit. I know a few folks that couldn't qualify for as much as they wanted to get 4 new phones on their family plan.

Cheers,

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Seeing the Apple stock behave yesterday, I think there is not going to be a shortage of iPhone 5S. It is unlikely to attract Android users and will be mainly a replacement cycle for existing iPhone users. There was no wow factor there.

Since when does Wall Street determine how well a device sells and whether or not there will be shortages? Ever hear the phrase "Buy on the rumor, sell on the news"? There are three things you can count on every year when Apple updates the iPhone:
1: The press and the rest of the internet will hate it.
2: The stock price will start going down the instant Apple announces it.
3: Despite 1 & 2, the new model outsells every version that came before it.

Numbers 1 and 2 have already come to pass. I have no reason to believe number 3 won't also.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
If Wall Street did not get it right, you should be buying APPL stock. The stock returned over 30% negative over the last 1 year, even though the S&P 500 was up 17% during this time. A difference of 47% return between the two. Mainly due to falling revenue and the market reading that innovation has slowed down after Steve Jobs. Additionally, I am not talking about a given version outselling the previous version. I am saying this phone looks more likely to be attractive for a replacement cycle of 4S or previous versions of iPhone users. I do not see this phone taking market share from Android users. There is no wow factor.
Apple's revenue in billions for each of last 4 quarters Q1 54b, Q2 43b, Q3 35b, expected Q4 36b.
See the trend? Revenue is trending down. Tablet market is saturated. Apple is doing very poorly in the smart phone area in emerging economies of China and India compared to Samsung etc. The world's largest phone company is China Mobile with 600 million customers. It does not sell iPhones to this day.

Since when does Wall Street determine how well a device sells and whether or not there will be shortages? Ever hear the phrase "Buy on the rumor, sell on the news"? There are three things you can count on every year when Apple updates the iPhone:
1: The press and the rest of the internet will hate it.
2: The stock price will start going down the instant Apple announces it.
3: Despite 1 & 2, the new model outsells every version that came before it.

Numbers 1 and 2 have already come to pass. I have no reason to believe number 3 won't also.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Just remember they can be somewhat picky about extending credit. I know a few folks that couldn't qualify for as much as they wanted to get 4 new phones on their family plan.

Cheers,

I remember I had to give T-Mobile half up front for both me and my wife iPhone 5. Looking back I wish I hadn't done it, but you know what they say about hindsight.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
If Wall Street did not get it right, you should be buying APPL stock. The stock returned over 30% negative over the last 1 year, even though the S&P 500 was up 17% during this time. A difference of 47% return between the two. Mainly due to falling revenue and the market reading that innovation has slowed down after Steve Jobs. Additionally, I am not talking about a given version outselling the previous version. I am saying this phone looks more likely to be attractive for a replacement cycle of 4S or previous versions of iPhone users. I do not see this phone taking market share from Android users. There is no wow factor.
Apple's revenue in billions for each of last 4 quarters Q1 54b, Q2 43b, Q3 35b, expected Q4 36b.
See the trend? Revenue is trending down. Tablet market is saturated. Apple is doing very poorly in the smart phone area in emerging economies of China and India compared to Samsung etc. The world's largest phone company is China Mobile with 600 million customers. It does not sell iPhones to this day.

How is it that you're suddenly talking about Apple's stock performance over the last year? Your comment was specific to the performance on a single day. Case in point:
Seeing the Apple stock behave yesterday...

There are lots of reasons why Apple's stock is down over the last year, and this isn't the thread to get into all of that. My only point was that you were making it sound like the iPhone 5S is a complete failure based entirely on the fact that the stock price went down on a single day. It's a well established pattern that Apple's stock ALWAYS goes down the days following any announcement, and I would be willing to bet it has done so after EVERY iPhone announcement, not just this one. You can't draw any conclusions about the performance of ANY company based on the stock performance on a single day, which is exactly what you were doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.