Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Does the text forwarding option still need to be enabled with iOS 11.4 and messages in the cloud? I would think it is no longer needed, so long as all devices are using the same iCloud account.

I have a iPhone X (A) (Verizon) and a iPhone X (B) T-Mobile. Both phones use the same iCloud account. With imessges in the cloud enabled, I get a text on my phone A and my Mac, but not getting the text on phone B. If I enable text fowarding phone A to iphone B, I get the texts. That doesn't seem right to me.

Is my understanding of this new feature incorrect?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
There is another recent thread on this subboard about same topic. My take, not going to work due to design decisions re: ease of use, UI around juggling multiple phones across multiple devices. And cellcos hanging onto text message charges/caps, where they still exist.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/sms-forwarding.2120901

EDIT: missed the part that phone A to B does work with forwarding turned on, but still standing to my guess.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Text forwarding is for sms service, not iMessage. So yeah, you still need that.

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Text forwarding is for sms service, not iMessage. So yeah, you still need that.
Fake news. iOS 11.4 allows syncing of messages through iCloud across all devices, including SMS.

OP, go to Settings > Your Name > iCloud and make sure messages is turned on. Make sure it’s turned on for your other devices as well. And then be patient. It can take some time to sync.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Fake news. iOS 11.4 allows syncing of messages through iCloud across all devices, including SMS.

OP, go to Settings > Your Name > iCloud and make sure messages is turned on. Make sure it’s turned on for your other devices as well. And then be patient. It can take some time to sync.

True, my bad. Didn’t realise it was for sms as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.