Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
That is really overblown. The CPU throttles down. If CPU power isn't needed it won't use it AND if the CPU is too hot it throttles down. In testing it, the test may not be while the CPU is operating at 2.13 GHz if it's tested for long periods when the MBA's temp may be too high. The small space inside for cooling with the almost non-existent CPU heatsink can on occasion lead to the CPU throttling down to 1.8 or 1.6 GHz on the 2.13 GHz SL9600 CPU.

At the same time, there are times when a 2.13 GHz is needed. Consider some HD video playback apps recommend a 2 GHz minimum processor. Check out iTunes requirement for HD video playback - 2 GHz min!

There are things people can do to reduce/eliminate heat. Do not cover the vents on the bottom in the back. All of these things factor in to when the CPU will throttle down. So testing errors could easily cause this.

I owned the rev B 1.86 GHz SSD. It never had any problems doing anything I requested of it. I now own the 2.13 GHz SSD version, and I can say that it's faster! I am 100% positive that it's faster the vast majority of the time. Anyone who says their 1.86 is faster isn't attributing the fact of user error in the equation.

In addition, the new model has better performane with the same 9400m GPU, according to Apple. Went from 4x to 6x over original MBA. I am getting at least 35 minutes more time in between charges, sometimes up to a full hour more charge. Included with the newest MBA is also a USB Ethernet adapter.

I would NOT recommend you sell your rev B and buy a new model unless you have plenty of money and it's just not an issue to shell out more cash. Or, if your rev B is problematic in some way OR if the warranty is expired and you want to be covered. I am not being a hypocrite here as my rev B MBA was stolen forcing me to buy a new model. I would NOT have otherwise upgraded as my rev B was an incredible performer not needing an upgrade.

I am hopeful to upgrade again when the next MBA is released. Assuming the SSD is a 256 GB drive and the RAM is upped to 4 GB or better yet has two slots allowing up to 8GB. I am hopeful Apple sticks with the same SL9600 CPU, but an upgraded 200m Nvidia GPU would be nice!

Good luck!

mackhydr4

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
That is really overblown. The CPU throttles down. If CPU power isn't needed it won't use it AND if the CPU is too hot it throttles down. In testing it, the test may not be while the CPU is operating at 2.13 GHz if it's tested for long periods when the MBA's temp may be too high. The small space inside for cooling with the almost non-existent CPU heatsink can on occasion lead to the CPU throttling down to 1.8 or 1.6 GHz on the 2.13 GHz SL9600 CPU.

At the same time, there are times when a 2.13 GHz is needed. Consider some HD video playback apps recommend a 2 GHz minimum processor. Check out iTunes requirement for HD video playback - 2 GHz min!

There are things people can do to reduce/eliminate heat. Do not cover the vents on the bottom in the back. All of these things factor in to when the CPU will throttle down. So testing errors could easily cause this.

I owned the rev B 1.86 GHz SSD. It never had any problems doing anything I requested of it. I now own the 2.13 GHz SSD version, and I can say that it's faster! I am 100% positive that it's faster the vast majority of the time. Anyone who says their 1.86 is faster isn't attributing the fact of user error in the equation.

In addition, the new model has better performane with the same 9400m GPU, according to Apple. Went from 4x to 6x over original MBA. I am getting at least 35 minutes more time in between charges, sometimes up to a full hour more charge. Included with the newest MBA is also a USB Ethernet adapter.

I would NOT recommend you sell your rev B and buy a new model unless you have plenty of money and it's just not an issue to shell out more cash. Or, if your rev B is problematic in some way OR if the warranty is expired and you want to be covered. I am not being a hypocrite here as my rev B MBA was stolen forcing me to buy a new model. I would NOT have otherwise upgraded as my rev B was an incredible performer not needing an upgrade.

I am hopeful to upgrade again when the next MBA is released. Assuming the SSD is a 256 GB drive and the RAM is upped to 4 GB or better yet has two slots allowing up to 8GB. I am hopeful Apple sticks with the same SL9600 CPU, but an upgraded 200m Nvidia GPU would be nice!

Good luck!

Thanks-

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Even with my Rev A I have no decide to upgrade to a Rev C. The speeds of all 3 machines for "basic tasks" are pretty similar.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Having only ever owned the 2.13 w/ SSD, I'm very happy with it.

I think that if I had to do it again, i'd get the 2.13 again but having met 1.86 owners and chatted on the forums it's a great machine if you want to save the cash and put it toward the applecare & a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.