Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019
I am still on my 8 plus , for an avg user its still a good phone. I think i will wait for 14 series and then decide if its worthy an upgrade to my 8 plus

Reactions: Mark Stone

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I went back from an iPhone 11 to iPhone 8 (not plus) last summer while waiting for the 13 to arrive. Honestly, tt felt terribly outdated. Mostly in terms of battery life (which was awful on the 8), lack of gestures and modern ways of controlling an iPhone and last but not least - camera quality, to the point I really felt I was missing out when capturing travel memories.

I'm loving the iPhone 13. Perfect phone!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I have never heard of this - fill me in?

In order to preserve battery life and performance apple implemented a software feature that throttled the cpu to help preserve the battery. It was not documented and so there were several lawsuits and settlements about apple hiding the facts of throttling and battery degridation.

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
Not really. Throttling wasn't documented which caused the uproar. It is still there, automatically selected, unless you chose to disable it. Probably not a great idea to disable it.
Surely it wasn't documented nor mentioned, but still illegal until uncovered. Only then became legal by giving the option to turn it off. People were buying newer phones because they thought their phones were old and crap where in fact, Apple was manipulating the actual phone performance

Reactions: HalfFullmoon

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
In order to preserve battery life and performance apple implemented a software feature that throttled the cpu to help preserve the battery. It was not documented and so there were several lawsuits and settlements about apple hiding the facts of throttling and battery degridation.

Thanks for the information and link

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
I am still on my 8 plus , for an avg user its still a good phone. I think i will wait for 14 series and then decide if its worthy an upgrade to my 8 plus
Good choice. My new 13 seems much smoother & "better" than my 8 Plus (as I stated in post 1), but that doesn't mean the 8 was chopped liver. I had my 8 for nearly 4 years and it was a dependable workhorse.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Couldn’t agree more. Typing this on my 1st Gen SE now. After the battery on my first one became too unusable, I picked up a second one with better battery health.
Why not just replace the battery for cheaper? How much was the new one? or was there something else wrong with the old phone?

Well, Apple actually DID this with older phones. Remember the CPU underclocking scandal in older models with a low-health batteries? They stepped back in doing it since that came out.
Yes i actually referred to this in the post you quoted. But that was a bad battery management thing, not slowing down all phones thing.

Reactions: Andeddu

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
I could be cynical and agree Apple slow down older phones to encourage upgrades, but I my experience Apple have been great at extending the life of older iPhones. There was one release ( Cant remember which ) which was all about optimisation and my older iPhone at the time actually got faster. However eventually it becomes extra work to maintain high performance on older phones and they need to concentrate on new features and the iPhones that support it. I still think the 8 Plus was one of the best ever iPhones. My son has my old one and it's still going strong.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
But then why do some people have (I assume significant) slow down with old devices and others don’t? If it was an OS thing, it should be everybody.
Like I said, for some people it might have been the battery management thing.

Two words. Battery Capacity… and especially when it goes down past 80% of a normal cycle life

Jimbonatius

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2021
I could be cynical and agree Apple slow down older phones to encourage upgrades, but I my experience Apple have been great at extending the life of older iPhones. There was one release ( Cant remember which ) which was all about optimisation and my older iPhone at the time actually got faster. However eventually it becomes extra work to maintain high performance on older phones and they need to concentrate on new features and the iPhones that support it. I still think the 8 Plus was one of the best ever iPhones. My son has my old one and it's still going strong.
That would be iOS 12, which was supposed to be all about performance after the whole iOS 11 debacle.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
I have never heard of this - fill me in? TIA ?
Yeah, Apple throttled phones with batteries that were going bad that would crash if they weren’t throttled. I experienced that myself and I tried turning off the protection when Apple made it an option and my phone would die under heavy load

The thing Apple did wrong there was not talking about it. They do that a lot though. It wasn’t malicious, it’s an institutional issue that sometimes works and sometimes causes issues

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I walk every morning and use my 6s+ to stream SOMA FM straight to my BT Aftershokz Aeropex. I still handle text, email and calls with that phone. I also use it a lot to clock in for work (I work from home).

You can disagree, that's fine - but what is happening with your phone is not happening with mine.

For the record, as I stated above, the battery was replaced after six years.
Again, you lack nuance. And you’re not a power user and are accepting of reduced performance. What you’ve described as your use case is exactly as I described. You are a Casual user. The performance degradation for the 6S is measurable and documented. It’s NOT my opinion and your disagreement does not change the facts. Your casual use simply indicates that slight performance loss using less intensive apps is acceptable to YOU. And that’s OK. Power users who utilize cpu/gpu intensive apps experience a significant drop in performance which severely handicaps the user experience. Hope this clarifies.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Ok I had this same experience. I went from the 8 plus when I upgraded to the xs max, and after the newness wore off I really wasn’t impressed because my use case didn’t change. The screen was nicer but the 8plus lcd is nice already. To be honest when I went from Xs max to 12 pro max same feeling. No big change other then the negatives (uncomfortable). I went to 12 mini and I was thrilled finally a change I felt, comfort! So honestly your take is not surprising. My use case hasn’t changed since the 5. I like the better camera but now the changes are so small I take comfort and easy to hold as main reasons to keep a phone other than best camera and faster processor (really who can tell, the 8 was fast already)

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Frankly, I didn't think there would be that much of a difference in performance between the old and new phone - but "boy howdy" there sure is!
:) One of the perks of not being addicted to buying the latest tech.

I am typically very frugal, do not upgrade until the item is broken to an unusable level, no longer satisfies demands, or the replacement has significantly beneficial improvements. In other words, almost every purchase (i.e. upgrade-type replacement) includes your above sentiment. It really does add that much more value to the product/service.

Coincidentally, I am intending to replace my iPhone X with an iPhone 13 Pro Max — when they finally show up in the Apple refurb section. By the spec comparison, I think, I should get the same satisfying reaction.

?

I have never heard of this - fill me in? TIA ?
Yeah, Apple throttled phones with batteries that were going bad that would crash if they weren’t throttled. I experienced that myself and I tried turning off the protection when Apple made it an option and my phone would die under heavy load

The thing Apple did wrong there was not talking about it. They do that a lot though. It wasn’t malicious, it’s an institutional issue that sometimes works and sometimes causes issues
Throttling wasn't documented which caused the uproar.

I think that people’s slow down are generally the same but if you’re not a power user then the slow down is acceptable or attributed to the age of the phone. Power users are acutely aware when software causes a nosedive in the user experience.
I would not describe it as a nosedive. Nonetheless, using apps such as Scanner Pro is an obvious reminder of my iPhone X’s age.

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
My 8 Plus battery health is 74 and the phone works great for me still. The dual camera lens is awesome for Portrait mode and the only reason I’d upgrade is if they make an SE Plus. My wife has the 2020 SE and I can’t stand that it only has one lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.