Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devon807

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
Virginia
Hello all, I am in the market for a "new" Macbook Pro for school. I have my eyes set on a 2010 15in anti-glare MBP. Before I purchase it, I was wondering if anyone had the graphics issues that plagued these machines?

Enraginangel

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
I own a 2010 MBP and yes, I had those issues. I had my logic board replaced twice. I still have graphical glitches every now and then but it's better than when I had kernel panics. Upgrade the RAM and SSD and it's still a great machine that provides smooth operation for most everyday tasks.

devon807

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
Virginia
I own a 2010 MBP and yes, I had those issues. I had my logic board replaced twice. I still have graphical glitches every now and then but it's better than when I had kernel panics. Upgrade the RAM and SSD and it's still a great machine that provides smooth operation for most everyday tasks.
Do you think there is a great probability that if I purchase one, it will malfunction?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
How much is the asking price? A six year old computer is not going to be reliable in any case.

devon807

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
Virginia
That could be a decent price...it all depends on the condition of the computer and the specs...what are they?
Condition is really good, specs are 8GB RAM 500GB HDD, i5. But if the 2010 macs have issues I think I may step down to a 09 17in. What do you think?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Your main issue is that you are buying a six year old laptop, none of them are reliable at that age!! it might be fine for two years it may die tomorrow and you'll have wasted your money.

You have no comeback, no warranty and Apple won't work on it any more.

It's your money of course but I'd never reccomend anyone bought any laptop that was that old if reliability was a prerequisite.

Reactions: devon807

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, I agree with Samuelsan. Laptops are simply not reliable past that age. There is a very good chance that you will be looking at expensive repair and maintenance costs only few months down the road.

Reactions: devon807

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Hello all, I am in the market for a "new" Macbook Pro for school. I have my eyes set on a 2010 15in anti-glare MBP. Before I purchase it, I was wondering if anyone had the graphics issues that plagued these machines?

I own one. Have upgraded it to 8gb RAM and 256gb SSD. It runs flawlessly and has for six years now. Don't use it anymore because I got a 2015 15" refurb from Apple. But the 2010 machine was a great computer for me and will serve as a good backup if my 2015 model ever fails. FYI: love the anti-glare on the 2010. Too bad they don't make it anymore.

devon807

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
Virginia
Your main issue is that you are buying a six year old laptop, none of them are reliable at that age!! it might be fine for two years it may die tomorrow and you'll have wasted your money.

You have no comeback, no warranty and Apple won't work on it any more.

It's your money of course but I'd never reccomend anyone bought any laptop that was that old if reliability was a prerequisite.
It may be old, but reliability of the GPU was what I was scared of most. The graphics dying would be a pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.