Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PO2345

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Houston
Is there anyone who upgraded from this device by chance?
Is it worth it? Speed significantly better?

Debating if I should do this from a performance/longevity standpoint. Thanks for any input.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Is there anything wrong with your iPhone 8? Also, how strongly do you feel about FaceID vs TouchID and notch vs large bezels?

I upgraded from the iPhone 7 but even if I were coming from iPhone 8, I probably would've still upgraded for dual SIM and for quite possibly the last iPhone with LCD (OLED has given me migraines in the past).

My mom has the 5s and we upgraded her to the SE 2016 when that was released. Similar concept here except the iPhone 8 is a much better performing device compared to the 5s.

PO2345

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Houston
Is there anything wrong with your iPhone 8? Also, how strongly do you feel about FaceID vs TouchID and notch vs large bezels?

I upgraded from the iPhone 7 but even if I were coming from iPhone 8, I probably would've still upgraded for dual SIM and for quite possibly the last iPhone with LCD (OLED has given me migraines in the past).

My mom has the 5s and we upgraded her to the SE 2016 when that was released. Similar concept here except the iPhone 8 is a much better performing device compared to the 5s.

1. Nope. Just curious if the SE internals bump was worth the the upgrade coming from an 8.
2. I don't think question is relevant since both the 8 & SE only feature Touch ID & large bezels.

Thanks for your response.
[automerge]1591741117[/automerge]
If there isn't anything wrong with your 8, keep it. They are basically the same but the SE has updated internals.

Thanks for your response. I knew that.
I was just merely trying to gauge if that A13 chip included on the SE was worth it/noticeable coming from an 8 with A11.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
2. I don't think question is relevant since both the 8 & SE only feature Touch ID & large bezels.
2. The reason for asking is because the iPhone SE 2020 will likely be the last iPhone with this form factor and TouchID. If you greatly prefer TouchID over FaceID, then I think it's worth upgrading to the last iPhone with best performance and TouchID.

"Future-proofing" and longevity for my preferred form factor (and LCD) is one of the reasons I upgraded to the SE 2020.

My mom kept her SE 2016 for the longest time but the past few months, she's pretty resigned at needing to upgrade to a bigger device. She hates FaceID so I hope the SE 2020 lasts her just as long (or longer) than her original SE did.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
New chip will always be incrementally better - but whether it is $400 better over your existing, working, fully paid for phone is the value proposition only you can judge. If your current hardware satisfies all your needs currently, the best choice is to keep it until it either stops working or stops doing what you want it to do - either as a result of software obsolescence or hardware degradation.

osta.doc

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
I believe Apple will give you 170.00 trade-in for you iPhone 8. So, for 230.00 to upgrade, it’s an absolute yes, in my opinion.

Reactions: PO2345

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Only upgrade to the 2020 SE if you want the latest (last) iPhone with Touch ID (and will get at least 2 years longer of OS updates than your current 8).

If you don't mind upgrading to a Face ID iPhone later on, just save the money.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Only if A: you adore the old school design/touch ID and want to keep it for as long as possible and thus want to future proof your phone. Or B: Your 8 is falling apart and you need a cheap replacement ASAP. Otherwise, I don't see any reason to. Battery life will be about the same, performance, in theory, will be better, but there won't be much real-world different as the A11 is still pretty fast. The phone will look the same, and you'll lose touch ID. Probably the one big advantage is the slightly improved camera, but I wouldn't upgrade to the SE just for the camera as there are much better options in that regard.

PO2345

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Houston
2. The reason for asking is because the iPhone SE 2020 will likely be the last iPhone with this form factor and TouchID. If you greatly prefer TouchID over FaceID, then I think it's worth upgrading to the last iPhone with best performance and TouchID.

"Future-proofing" and longevity for my preferred form factor (and LCD) is one of the reasons I upgraded to the SE 2020.

My mom kept her SE 2016 for the longest time but the past few months, she's pretty resigned at needing to upgrade to a bigger device. She hates FaceID so I hope the SE 2020 lasts her just as long (or longer) than her original SE did.

Ah. I see your point now. Thanks!

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
I upgraded from an 8 to an SE. I don’t regret it. The camera is superior and the extra gig of ram helps with keeping apps and tabs in memory. I’ll likely upgrade to a Note 20 later in the year but the SE is an excellent phone.

Reactions: jimmy_uk and PO2345

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Only upgrade to the 2020 SE if you want the latest (last) iPhone with Touch ID

Nope. It’s already been slated for the iPhone SE ‘Plus’ likely to debut in the first quarter, possibly 2nd quarter of 2021 (Predicted by Kuo and Prosser). So if that does hold true, that wouldn’t make it the ‘last’ iPhone with touch ID.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
CPU is 50% faster, GPU is twice as fast, takes far better photos (including portrait mode, next gen smart HDR), records extended dynamic range video, records stereo audio, faster WiFi, faster LTE speeds, more LTE bands supported

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Considering your current iPhone 8 still does everything well for you, I would wait until the iPhone 12 lot is released. If you like any of them, you could upgrade then. iPhone SE is likely to stick around at least until the spring 2021, so you should have plenty of time.

Robert Pollard

Suspended
Sep 23, 2019
Virginia
Is there anyone who upgraded from this device by chance?
Is it worth it? Speed significantly better?

Debating if I should do this from a performance/longevity standpoint. Thanks for any input.
I sold my iPhone 8 for the 11. I miss the 8 specifically for the 2x zoom lens. I have zero need for the wife angled lens on the 11

gary77

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
London England
I upgraded from the 8 to the SE i did it for acouple of reasons future proofing against iOS updates and e-sim. I know it does better in other areas like gaming but the above 2 where the main reasons for upgrading

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
If you care about photography and intensive stuff yes

otherwise maybe not

I say this as someone who loves SE2

the plus is another 2 years minimum of support maybe more. SE’s are longevity models

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.