Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I went to book a battery replacement for my iPhone 6 and my local apple store had none available. They did however have appointments available at Best Buy.

Would the price be the same to get it replaced there? Would the quality of work be similar? I'm sure its a fairly simple task but can Best Buy do it right?

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I’d stay with Apple if you can. At least that way you know parts are genuine and Apple will look after you should something go wrong.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
Best Buy is an Apple authorized repair facility. They are most certainly using proper, OEM batteries. As far as the $29 price, not sure how that works....

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
AASPs should offer the same pricing.
From https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/11/iphone-6-plus-battery-replacements-delay/ :

"A source adds that Apple Authorized Service Providers are permitted to set their own prices for out-of-warranty parts and repairs, so some third-party repair shops are charging more than $29 for battery replacements, even if Apple might not prefer it, to ensure they are being fairly compensated."

I live in a town of 400K and a metro area of 600K. Nearest Apple Stores are almost 200 miles away. Simply Mac is one of the AASPs here. Glad to see they are honoring Apple's reduced price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.