Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lactoes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2011
I know it sounds laughable to even ask this - we're comparing a 10yr old machine to an M-series.

But I don't have real world experience with M's, so I’m wondering if this M1 really stacks up dollar-for-dollar considering it’s more than 3 years old itself. Should I save up a little more and go with the M2 refurb on apple.com for $999 (Refurbished 13-inch MacBook Pro Apple M2 Chip with 8‑Core CPU and 10‑Core GPU)?

Background:
My MBP is in flawless condition and only starting to get a little sluggish while editing video (1080 only). Big Sur is still killer on this thing. Honestly, if the battery was still in good shape I'd hang onto it a little longer. Portability/weight is less of a concern than buying a laptop that will last for a long time, relative to the money.

Reactions: Andrey84

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
If you’re happy with your current Mac and it’s working then why do you want to upgrade?

Yes it’s significantly faster but will that make a difference for you?

If you’re curious go to an Apple Store or anyplace that has one on display

Reactions: turbineseaplane

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
I had the 2019 16'' intel mac before getting my M1 and boy did i thought it was a big upgrade I cant imagine your 10 year old laptop. I would suggest getting a used m1 cheaper from facebook or offerup but the M1 is still a sweet machine for anybody.

Reactions: Andrey84

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Similar story for myself, but I upgraded a 2013 TrashCan Mac Pro 64gb for an M1 Mini 16gb and saw faster video rendering, graphic performance, photoshop editing improvement. Best was I was able to trade the Mac Pro in for about $100 less than the M1 costs me. An M1 today will easily last through this decade and likely longer biggest issue I see to upset that is AI development, though I think that is true with both the M2, and M3 machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.