Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushellj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Devon, UK
First let me say that we are currently a 100% Apple house - iPhones, iPads, MacBook and several generations of Apple TV. We live in the UK. We have cut the cord with Sky !!

We use a number of streaming sources for our TV - Netflix, Amazon Prime and all the UK Catch Up Channels. Live TV comes from satellite as the terrestrial TV where we live is rather weak and satellite seems to be of better quality (higher bit rate ?).

So where does this leave the Apple TV ?? BBC iPlayer and Netflix - But where are all the other Apps ??

Almost any Samsung or LG smart TV Has support for the main Apps - even our Samsung DVD Player has better support than the Apple TV.

If Apple doesn't get off its backside and start to get some serious App support from the main media sources it is being quickly overtaken by almost every supplier of smart TV's.

Comments please before we dump the Apple TV in favour of a better supported platform.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I hope not! I rely on my 3 ATV4s every single day! I'd be heartbroken if they were dead! I didn't even know they were sick!

But seriously, in my opinion the value of streaming boxes and SmartTVs is a direct reflection of what an individual or family enjoys for programming. If the ATV doesn't suit your needs, then a Roku, FireTV, nVidia Shield, or some combination of the available tools likely will.

For me, the ATV4 along with the following services/apps is an amazing amazing value. I save ~$80-90/mo compared to my spending level ~3-1/2 years ago before standardizing on streaming. In no particular order, I use:

1) Netflix
2) Hulu
3) YouTube
4) Channels for OTA broadcasts from my HDHomeRun tuner
5) Plex for my ripped TV shows and movies and DVR capabilities from my HDHomeRun tuner

My estimate is that I spent about $800-$1,000 to get everything set the way I want it (not all at 1 time). And that's on the high side because I am including a bunch of "non-essentials" that I bought to improve my system. For instance, I have 2 Airport Extreme routers, but I really only need 1. I have 3 ATV4s when I probably only "need" 1 or 2 (and I bought them for the full retail price and not on sale). Anyhow, I could have accomplished most of what I setup for about 1/2 that cost if I were more frugal.

But even with that higher-than-needed cost, I still am at least $2,000-$2,500 (and counting) on the positive side of the ledger. And, I don't miss a single thing I want to watch.

Side note: I could substitute ATVs with say nVidia Shields and likely be just as happy. But I could not substitute a Roku or FireTV because they don't support the HDHomeRun directly (or at least as well). Which only goes to support my statement that the box choice is more a function of what you watch than the box itself.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
First let me say that we are currently a 100% Apple house - iPhones, iPads, MacBook and several generations of Apple TV. We live in the UK. We have cut the cord with Sky !!

We use a number of streaming sources for our TV - Netflix, Amazon Prime and all the UK Catch Up Channels. Live TV comes from satellite as the terrestrial TV where we live is rather weak and satellite seems to be of better quality (higher bit rate ?).

So where does this leave the Apple TV ?? BBC iPlayer and Netflix - But where are all the other Apps ??

Almost any Samsung or LG smart TV Has support for the main Apps - even our Samsung DVD Player has better support than the Apple TV.

If Apple doesn't get off its backside and start to get some serious App support from the main media sources it is being quickly overtaken by almost every supplier of smart TV's.

Comments please before we dump the Apple TV in favour of a better supported platform.

What main apps are you referring to?

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA

By some of the apps you mentioned, I'm guessing you might not be in the US? I keep reading that it's really lacking in other countries, but in the US I can't think of much it doesn't have besides amazon prime.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Considering it's a full Apple household it doesn't make sense to "dump" ATV for a parallel product. It's not the greatest but there aren't any game breakers in this space. Apple TV is a placeholder, it does what it does but they have their foot in the door for when alternate tv boxes take off. The manufacturers all seem to think big things are on the way, so we'll see what's in store.

Reactions: GreginNJ

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011

its definitely languishing in the UK. and could do better by just covering those basic tv catchup channels, giving us the TV app (still US only) we won't even mention amazon video, but at least were not suffering alone there. We get by with Netlix and Now TV and iplayer, but its not that successful in the UK and would only be a simple prospect to make it more of a must have in this country. Apple don't seem to be in any kind of hurry, unlike some of their competitors. I think that some of the recent terms agreements will have an effect, but the atv experience should be way more concrete before they update any hardware.

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
Apple has nothing to do with the creation of the Apps, rather it's up to the content owners to port it over to the AppleTV (see AmazonPrime). Additionally, just how easy to use are your smart TV "main apps"? I find them to be rather clunky and not intuitive.

bushellj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Devon, UK
If Apple doesn't get the main media providers to port their Apps to the ATV then the platform will die !!

I am in total agreement that the ATV provides the best interface but the Apps drive the content.

And yes most Smart TVs are a bit clunky and slow but they get better with every release and Samsung and LG appear to be able to persuade media companies to port Apps to their Platform. Apple is falling behind !!

I am in the UK and support here is a lot worse than the USA.

Just want one box with one remote control to watch TV !!!!

Apple has nothing to do with the creation of the Apps, rather it's up to the content owners to port it over to the AppleTV (see AmazonPrime). Additionally, just how easy to use are your smart TV "main apps"? I find them to be rather clunky and not intuitive.
[doublepost=1486507157][/doublepost]By the main Apps I mean the primary media content providers such as Amazon Prime (we don't have most of the US providers in the U.K.) and the Catch Up Aps for the main TV Channels.

The point is that if Samsung and LG can provide this on their smart TVs then it should be available on the ATV or Apple aren't doing their job !!

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
I can't imagine TV manufacturers (with their razor-thin profit margins) putting much effort in updating "smart TV" software beyond the first couple years.

With tvOS, Apple TV has a much, much stronger foundation to build off than any other platform.

//

Reactions: jbachandouris

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
I don't understand what you are on about. Apple TV is great for movies and TV programmes. I don't care or play games as I like living a real touch and see life not being in front of screens. The other providers are mostly old rubbish TV programmes.
I do hope the Apple TV is 4 & 5 K

bushellj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Devon, UK
I agree they have a better platform but the media owners are not porting their Apps to the ATV. Just look at the support that Samsung and LG have for their Platforms which are being very actively updated. Apple are being left behind (at least in the U.K.).

I can't imagine TV manufacturers (with their razor-thin profit margins) putting much effort in updating "smart TV" software beyond the first couple years.

With tvOS, Apple TV has a much, much stronger foundation to build off than any other platform.

//

lvavila

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
Happy with AppleTV here in the US. The Youtube, Netflix, Tablo and DirecTV apps are my main go to's that complete me.

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011

Apple should redouble efforts to market the platform to third parties, or make it easier to participate, or subsidise some of the costs; getting content owners on board is what will make the atv a success. The Uk would actually be easy to create a base model for an improved experience simply because there are less national channels. The actual speed and ease of use of the current model is great, but content and integration is patchy and its going to take some investment in promoting their own product to build it up.
I would also like to see the TV app rolled out internationally; obviously from the design of the remote it was intended to be so from the start, except something held it up...

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
By the main Apps I mean the primary media content providers such as Amazon Prime (we don't have most of the US providers in the U.K.) and the Catch Up Aps for the main TV Channels.

The point is that if Samsung and LG can provide this on their smart TVs then it should be available on the ATV or Apple aren't doing their job !!

Apple can only do so much here. Those "primary media content providers" need to hear from their subscribers/viewers that you want them to make apps for the Apple TV. Rather than post on here about it you should be sending them feedback by phone/email/facebook/twitter/etc. If they hear enough people asking for it I'm sure they will eventually make them available.

Do they have apps for the iPhone/iPad? If so then I think they would be willing to port them over to the AppleTV if they get enough feedback.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
No, far from dead. My guess is that it will be one of the most vibrant Apple products during the next 5 years.

Of course, Apple will try to keep within striking distance or maybe a half step ahead of their competitors in the smartphone arena. That is their biggest profit center. But they have only shown modest interest in keeping desktop computers and tablets up-to-date.

But they have tremendous opportunity with the Apple TV and follow-on products of that type. They have the $$ on hand to do some game-changing licensing deals with media content. Just a day or so ago they announced that one of the big honchos from Amazon Fire was moving to Apple to take a lead role in their Apple TV business.

So I'm encouraged and hopeful. There was a big improvement between the ATV3 and the ATV4. I expect that the next few products will be exciting.

Reactions: GreginNJ and Topfry

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
No, far from dead. My guess is that it will be one of the most vibrant Apple products during the next 5 years.

Of course, Apple will try to keep within striking distance or maybe a half step ahead of their competitors in the smartphone arena. That is their biggest profit center. But they have only shown modest interest in keeping desktop computers and tablets up-to-date.

But they have tremendous opportunity with the Apple TV and follow-on products of that type. They have the $$ on hand to do some game-changing licensing deals with media content. Just a day or so ago they announced that one of the big honchos from Amazon Fire was moving to Apple to take a lead role in their Apple TV business.

So I'm encouraged and hopeful. There was a big improvement between the ATV3 and the ATV4. I expect that the next few products will be exciting.
Actually I agree, but it's been a long road with the atv; potential vs actual. I'd like to see some stronger development with this model rather than for a new version - I've bought into the promise of every version so far and always ultimately underwhelmed...

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I recently bought a Sony 4K TV and it's based on Android TV: It has apps available for Plex, Amazon Prime (4K), Netflix (4K), and iPlayer, ITV Hub, 4OD and Demand 5 (basically all the main services in the UK except Now TV). It's also got built in Chromecast and (obviously) supports the Play Movies and TV app

By comparison, the Apple TV is a wasteland and I'm finding I use it less and less: Unfortunately, if the providers choose not to support the platform, there's not much Apple can do about it!

Last edited:

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I can only speak from USA use and I don't see it going anywhere. It has the Apple ecosystem and great (in my opinion the best) user interface. That means it is far from dead. They need to get with the program and bring out 4k version, though.

My Samsung has apps and it actually updates them frequently. The problem is that every time I get an update, I lose my credentials...which is a lot more often than my other devices. Apple is working on a one sign-in solution (already works for some providers), so they are moving in the right direction on that front.

I prefer the Samsung app for Youtube over the AppleTV version. However, I don't bother using it for other apps at this point.

bushellj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Devon, UK
I recently bought a Sony 4K TV and it's based on Android TV: It has apps available for Plex, Amazon Prime (4K), Netflix (4K), and iPlayer, ITV Hub, 4OD and Demand 5 (basically all the main services in the UK except Now TV). It's also got built in Chromecast and (obviously) supports the Play Movies and TV app

By comparison, the Apple TV is a wasteland and I'm finding I use it less and less: Unfortunately, if the providers choose not to support the platform, there's not much Apple can do about it!

Precisely the point I was making when I started this thread. Apple need to court the providers to get them to port their content to the ATV Platform

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Precisely the point I was making when I started this thread. Apple need to court the providers to get them to port their content to the ATV Platform
I use a lot of Apple TV 4 Apps. Some are only available on the Apple TV 4. Really a personal decision on which Eco System you favor.

1. iTunes Content Only on iOS and tvOS. Very important to me.
2. Channels Live TV and DVR. Only on iOS and tvOS. Very important to me.
3. Directv Now. On multiple platforms but not on Roku. They plan to add support.
4. Games that are only on iOS and tvOS. I get them for the grandkids.

There are many Apps I use that are on most platforms so does not matter.
Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, Starz and many more.

There are also many Apps for accessing Network Shares for Video etc. Like Infuse and MrMC (kodi).

The only App I miss is Amazon Prime. It is one of my TV Apps and I can use AirPlay but unless it is natively on Apple TV I will not use it much if at all. And the only reason I miss it is because I pay for it via my Prime Subscription mainly for shipping.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Thrilled with my ATV 4. The only thing it's lacking for me is Amazon Prime, but I just stream that over from phone or iPad so it doesn't worry me at all. It's not even almost dead. I see new apps popping up every day.

Slippery Gimp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Leeds, UK
I'm in the UK too, and I agree that Apple TV needs more catch up channels than it has.

I have an ATV3 which I bought ages ago, but I don't really use it that much. I have a PS4 hooked up to our living room TV (and before that a PS3), so I've built up a decent Blu-ray film collection. We subscribe to Amazon Prime and Now TV, and we used to subscribe to Netflix.

Two young children and a lack of time (and interest to a degree now) stop me from playing video games like I used to, so I often think about maybe ditching the PS4 (and Blu-ray) and getting an ATV4. However two things are stopping me from doing this: 1) no Amazon Prime, and 2) ATV4 is a bit expensive really.

I think I'll wait for a few months or more and see what happens, but I'm not chomping at the bit to buy one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.