Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuros

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2020
M2 and M3 are not so different. For your workflow, you won't notice anything new. The M2 is a beast.

I was in the same boat. Should I buy M2 or wait for M3 MM? I went with M2 MM in October. Don't regret it as I don't need those few % more in speed that I won't even notice.

I wouldn't choose between an M2 or an M3, but between a Mac Mini or an iMac, which is an all-in-one computer. I still like iMacs, but I wanted a 27" monitor. I just couldn't go from iMac 27 to iMac 24. Apple Studio is not just a monitor. You also get 6 great speakers and a web cam with mics.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I have an M1 MBP and for the kind of things you are talking about yeah you're fine. I don't think a lot of people understand just how powerful computers are nowadays or how efficient the apps are now. I do heavier stuff like video/graphic editing, coding, and gaming, and while in those instances it may slow a bit down, it's nothing compared to what I was used to.

If you can afford to get more ram I would do it but if not its not a deal breaker, and the machine will last about the same amount of time if not a little longer. That computer with those use cases will easily last you until 2027-2028 at the very least.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
How does the iMac m3 compare with the mini mac m2?
Well, the iMac is an all-in-one. Very convenient. I have used an iMac since 2008 as a daily driver, at which they excel.

If you are doing email, surfing the web, watching YouTube videos, etc. I doubt you'll need anything more than an M3 iMac. You can do all of it and usual photo stuff, office tools, etc.

I'd buy an M3 iMac if only it was height adjustable... but there is always the VESA mount version (special order).

Reactions: rdza

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Shouldn't even be slightly better with the m3 chip?
You'll get better single core performance with the M3, but if, for example, you are reading emails will a bump in processor speed really help?

NOTE: the lowest priced iMac does not come with an Ethernet port and it only has two Thunderbolt ports. Recommend getting the next model up, with the Ethernet port, the Touch ID, and two additional USB-C ports. You'll want the extra ports as, for example, your first additional purchase should be a Time Machine drive, and one can pick up a USB HDD for not much money.

rdza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2024
Well, the iMac is an all-in-one. Very convenient. I have used an iMac since 2008 as a daily driver, at which they excel.

If you are doing email, surfing the web, watching YouTube videos, etc. I doubt you'll need anything more than an M3 iMac. You can do all of it and usual photo stuff, office tools, etc.

I'd buy an M3 iMac if only it was height adjustable... but there is always the VESA mount version (special order).
Glad to hear that. Honestly I'm a damn mess rn lmao

Either getting the imac and forget about everything or going with the mm and my current monitor. Both options are good that's for sure so thanks for the replies. Thing is that I plan on getting the ps5 and gta vi next year so I'd have to either keep my monitor or buy another one as the imac won't work for that. Maybe the most convenient decision is getting the MM and that's it

rdza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2024
Thank you guys for helping. I have decided to get the base MM2 model. It should be more than good for my use. Care to help me to choose between my current monitor or something else now? lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.