Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I'm confused by all this. Which is better?

Staying with the $30 unlimited 3g plan for Iphone whether upgrade to new phone or not?

Getting the 3g iPad?

Getting the wifi only iPad?

It seems with tethering allowed the 3g iPad is obsolete.

Should I terminate my iPhone contract with AT&T and pay the fee and go with another charier?

BacklitFirefly

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
Sandhills Area, North Carolina
Somehow (I can't figure it out really....) the tethering AT&T is about to offer will not be able to supply a wifi-only iPad with an Internet connection. I don't understand how it will know an iPad from any other device one might wish to tether. Is that even possible?
:confused:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Tethering will be allowed, but with AT&T you can not keep the unlimited plan and tether. You will have to drop to the new tariffs to avail of tethering.

Also just because the iPhone can tether, does not mean it can tether to an iPad. My network allows tethering already legitimately, but unless I jailbreak and install mywi - there is still no way for the iPad to tether to the iPhone.

So yes. The iPad 3G is still a very legitimate purchase regardless of the new tethering AT&T roll out.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Doesn't AT&T give free wifi at their hotspots too? Maybe If you are in a city it is still worthwhile to get their plan?

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Define "need." I don't have an iPhone, so for me the 3G is necessary for the best experience with the iPad. Actually, the 3G plan is the main reason I got the iPad.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Somehow (I can't figure it out really....) the tethering AT&T is about to offer will not be able to supply a wifi-only iPad with an Internet connection. I don't understand how it will know an iPad from any other device one might wish to tether. Is that even possible?
:confused:

The tethering supplied by the iPhone will be over Bluetooth or USB. The iPad is not able to connect to the Internet using these two methods. The iPad can only connect using 3G or wifi. One could tether to a laptop that has a wifi hotspot software on it and connect that way, but that seems like an awful lot of work to use a magical device.

Apple thought out very carefully how the iPad would connect to the web. I'm sure they've been aware all along of AT&T's plans. They both suck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.