Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bitsstrongbrands

Suspended
Original poster
May 12, 2016
I think the iPad is lost between the iPhone (mobility+power) and the new Macs (real pro apps, usability and productivity). If Apple launch a MacBook Pro with 5G, Catalyst may be the salvation for the iPad app developers.

I use iPad as a big clock.

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
The iPad is useful for those who want some of the more basic functionality of a Mac but don't want to invest in one. Personally, I think the iPad has never been better. The fastest chips and best cameras in a tablet are certainly a part, but the iPad also has a much more functional and productivity-oriented OS than the iPhone.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I think it's the opposite. I think more and more people are using iPads. Especially look at the younger generations. Younger kids being assigned iPads by their schools, older kids choosing them for note-taking instead of paper and pencil. Businesses using iPads for all sorts of reasons, for mobility or for public-facing functions.

bitsstrongbrands

Suspended
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Maybe it will survive as an educational tool and/or a complement for the Big Macs with power to create content, movies, complex advertising campaigns and even apps for iOS and iPadOS.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
In a word (indeed one straight from the horse's mouth):

dims

Apple still see both platforms (macOS and iPad OS) as viable going forward with no plans to merge them. Sales of both lines are strong and they have stated ad nauseam that each has its own particular strengths which they want to continue to develop individually.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think the iPad is lost between the iPhone (mobility+power) and the new Macs (real pro apps, usability and productivity). If Apple launch a MacBook Pro with 5G, Catalyst may be the salvation for the iPad app developers.

I use iPad as a big clock.
I think that after years of incremental improvements in both hardware and software, the platform is mature and stable. People who use an iPad (Pro or non-pro) have come to grips with how it works or doesn't work for their use cases.

In my own experiences, the experimentation of pushing the platform to its limits has come to an end. I've taken it as far as it could go and it falls short of being the best all-round mobile computing device. The alternatives I own get closer than the iPad Pro.

There is nothing that the iPad Pro brings to what I do that cannot be as easily, if not, better accomplished by the base iPad. Especially considering the unavailabilities of covers (smart and keyboard) for the Pro models.

As people settle in to what the iPad can do for them, it might seem like it is "boring" and maybe even dying, but that's not the truth.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I think that after years of incremental improvements in both hardware and software, the platform is mature and stable. People who use an iPad (Pro or non-pro) have come to grips with how it works or doesn't work for their use cases.

In my own experiences, the experimentation of pushing the platform to its limits has come to an end. I've taken it as far as it could go and it falls short of being the best all-round mobile computing device. The alternatives I own get closer than the iPad Pro.

There is nothing that the iPad Pro brings to what I do that cannot be as easily, if not, better accomplished by the base iPad.
Especially considering the unavailabilities of covers (smart and keyboard) for the Pro models.

As people settle in to what the iPad can do for them, it might seem like it is "boring" and maybe even dying, but that's not the truth.

Agree, especially with the Bolded part.

If I continue with iPads, the base is more than enough. Lost $$$ and time on the Pros twice now. They ran as poorly as every other iPad I had once touch irresponsiveness kicked in. I still need a more robust computer.

Staying on subject, no, iPads are not dying. There’s no way Tim Cook will give up on the iPad.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Put me down in the iPad list. I have no real need or desire to use some kind of MacODS iPadOS hybrid, should that come to fruition next year or in several years.

The iPad is building customers. I would venture to say right behind the Apple Watch.

Reactions: Jimbo Limbo

Arimathéia Otto

Suspended
Jul 7, 2020
Curitiba
The iPad is a tool between the iPhone and the new Macs. They can be useful for illustrators and writers with simple needs like drag and drop, some pro-photo edition and even video edition. It's obvious that the new Mac Pro, MacBooks Pro and the next-gen iMacs will be even more powerful and the perfect tools for big and complex workflows. Sidecar and Catalyst are some examples of what is going to be the not so far future.

• iPhone for extreme mobility.
• iPad for some mobility / info input / creative + complement for the Macs.
• Macs for pro creative and complex workflows with big screens for video studios, advertising agencies, high scale engineering, DTP and for iOS/iPadOS app development.
[automerge]1594157101[/automerge]

Last edited:
Reactions: bitsstrongbrands

stephenschimpf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2018
San Pedro, CA
No, not at all. I've got an iPhone, iPad Pro, and iMac, and use them every day, but for different things. I can't sketch or paint or write notes with my Apple Pencil on my iPhone or iMac, and wouldn't want to. I can read Apple Books or Kindle books on my iPhone, but it's so much nicer to do that on my iPad Pro. I really want something in between the iPhone and the iMac, and the iPad is that something.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
Odd suggestion, if anything the iPad is becoming a more popular device. So many don't need a PC/Laptop as the iPad does everything they need.

I really do think a lot of people on here overestimate how much power/complexity most people need for their personal use (and in a very large portion of cases for work use). I think tech is fun, and I enjoy having a Mac mini along with my iPPs. But I got along fine, working for myself, with just my iPads for two years. I am enjoying my newish setup with my Mac mini very much, but honestly the only thing it is doing for me is giving me better multitasking availability-- allowing me to have more windows in easy sight at a given time while I'm working. If I had a "normal" job that I didn't do at home, for personal use all I would need is an iPad.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Absolutely not, for some use cases it just makes sense to use a MBP - motion graphics, heavy video editing, AutoCAD, 3D Models etc. But when this isn't required and you just need something to type up a blog on the go before you update your website later in the evening it's fantastic.

That's not to mention those who need it for portability. Myself in schools, having an iPad compared to a £3K MBP is much easier for anxiety when children start touching your screen to see xyz. It's easy to just walk into a meeting and bring up some stats when you're already connected to 4G, no WiFi business, just straight in there. No need to deal with finding a certain window or application, everything is just there.

I think if you're really portable, it makes sense to have an iPad. I don't just mean from desk to desk, I mean actually moving around, think about in a classroom, or on a construction site, in hospitals etc. You just want the screen there, nothing to prop the laptop on, easy to hold in one hand, and you only need the keyboard when required.

For me, it's great having the power of both, I thought I could take my MBP around, but that just remains docked. I wished I bought an iMac instead. Once the new ARM ones are released, I'll hand this MBP to my sister or sth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.