Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merrygoround

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
So this is my first exchange and I'm just going to do a full return and wait.

1st issue was the backlighting being uneven making it hard to look at. I found others here and reddit did a black test and it showed the screen was uneven. So I exchanged for this one, the backlight wasn't uneven noticeably to me, although it failed the black screen test(it can't do a pure black screen, it does magenta), but people had a good point, if it doesn't bother me when using it normally, its probably not a big deal.

But a couple days ago I wanted to use the camera. I know people don't use their iPad's for cameras but I do. I have an iPhone 6 and its the same camera as the iPad mini 5 and I am able to do web print photos that look amazing. I noticed that the camera had a weird fuzzy thing going on where it looks like it's in low light or like moving lines constantly moving, even outside it is fuzzy, and it can't take clear photos. I compared it to iPad mini 1s and they look better. I tried a software update and no change. It looks like a VGA digital camera/camera phone from 2004(remember those?). Even on the front-facing camera its bad(the constant fuzzy moving parts). So I think maybe this batch is just faulty in different ways. My first and second iPad mini 5 was made in the same factory 7 weeks apart. Maybe by the end of the year, they will know the kinks and work it out. I hate to give up the iPad mini 5 as its really nice to use but for $450 I think everything should be perfect or at least passable.
KWzePoe.jpg

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

1st issue was the backlighting being uneven making it hard to look at. I found others here and reddit did a black test and it showed the screen was uneven. So I exchanged for this one, the backlight wasn't uneven noticeably to me, although it failed the black screen test(it can't do a pure black screen, it does magenta), but people had a good point, if it doesn't bother me when using it normally, its probably not a big deal.

But a couple days ago I wanted to use the camera. I know people don't use their iPad's for cameras but I do. I have an iPhone 6 and its the same camera as the iPad mini 5 and I am able to do web print photos that look amazing. I noticed that the camera had a weird fuzzy thing going on where it looks like it's in low light or like moving lines constantly moving, even outside it is fuzzy, and it can't take clear photos. I compared it to iPad mini 1s and they look better. I tried a software update and no change. It looks like a VGA digital camera/camera phone from 2004(remember those?). Even on the front-facing camera its bad(the constant fuzzy moving parts). So I think maybe this batch is just faulty in different ways. My first and second iPad mini 5 was made in the same factory 7 weeks apart. Maybe by the end of the year, they will know the kinks and work it out. I hate to give up the iPad mini 5 as its really nice to use but for $450 I think everything should be perfect or at least passable.
KWzePoe.jpg
The camera isn’t terrible in the right lighting conditions.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Without a side-by-side comparison between the Mini 5 and photos from the other devices taking photos under the same conditions, it isn't possible to draw a reasonable conclusion about camera quality.

merrygoround

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
Without a side-by-side comparison between the Mini 5 and photos from the other devices taking photos under the same conditions, it isn't possible to draw a reasonable conclusion about camera quality.

i did both in multiple similar scenarios.. something isn't right with the 5 camera.. at least on mines.. coulda been a bad batch..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.