Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
mine is still at 100% and i charge via magsafe every night.
Mine is also at 100% after 6 months being charged by magsafe every single night. Which clearly means...the stats are meaningless. Obviously it isn't actually 100%.

People put way too much stock in the numbers shown on this UI. The only time anyone should even take note of it is when the battery needs to be replaced.

Reactions: kitKAC

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
absolutely. people are obsessive as hell over this stuff (don't mind me monitoring how much swap my SSD is being used for in activity monitor though) their phones will be fine.

Reactions: kitKAC

Woody1073

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2019
United Kingdom
My battery health only goes down around July/August when a new iPhone is imminent and as soon as the new iPhone is released my battery health stays the same until the following July/August……..obviously it’s just a coincidence my battery health goes down as a new phone release is approaching it’s not like apple would try nudge people to go buy a new phone by making there battery look like it’s on its way out 😏🤭

auwkeung

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2008
Mine launch day 14PM has just dropped to 99% with 122 charge cycles...I guess it's the way battery works, don't worry just enjoy using it

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
My battery health only goes down around July/August when a new iPhone is imminent and as soon as the new iPhone is released my battery health stays the same until the following July/August……..obviously it’s just a coincidence my battery health goes down as a new phone release is approaching it’s not like apple would try nudge people to go buy a new phone by making there battery look like it’s on its way out

Correct, they definitely do not have any say in how a battery percentage is shown either through an update or built into the software.

MacBookPro17inch

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2021
I switched to the 14 Pro Max today.
Lets see, how battery life will be.

Sold my 13 Pro Max today at 97% battery health after 13 months of (heavy) use.
MagSafe only.
The phone had the best bettery life, I've ever had with any phone.

Still wondering, if the USB-C 20w charger would be better to the battery. Plus I don't want to have a ring on my new midnight leather case. lol

Vazor

macrumors regular
May 7, 2020
The battery size listed for iPhones is actually the minimum size a battery can be. The actual mAh rating is higher. Sometimes it’s a little higher, sometimes more. My 14PM, according to the analytics that Apple measures daily, was 4559 mAh brand new. It will take awhile before it reaches the minimum rated capacity when new of 4323 mAh. Until that time, it will show 100% battery health.

Aside from charging habits, that’s the main reason why one phone can stay at 100% longer than another.
Where can I find the actual capacity?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This is a public forum. You're free to post anything pertaining to Apple. But please don't tell others what to post. You can feel free to move on if you don't like a thread.
He didn’t tell anyone not to post, he said it’s time to stop obsessing over battery life, which sounds like advice. I agree.

My spouse who I bought her launch day i14PM uses the phone at her whim and doesn’t follow the “conventional wisdom” of battery charging here in MacRumors. I do think aod sucks some battery life but she likes it on.

The only think I care about is being cognizant of high temperature in overheating the battery.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife’s iPhone 14 PM is at 97% health. But she uses her phone even more than she used her 13 PM. So I base that drop on more usage and maybe luck of the draw from the factory.

My friends 13 PM is in the high 80%s while my 13 PM was 103% capacity last month. I am a very light user.

AOD sips battery. Playing games draws significantly more power and beats up the internals exponentially more.

Some phones come over provisioned. Most of mine have. My 14 Pro I purchased this month is 200mAh over factory design.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
The battery size listed for iPhones is actually the minimum size a battery can be. The actual mAh rating is higher. Sometimes it’s a little higher, sometimes more. My 14PM, according to the analytics that Apple measures daily, was 4559 mAh brand new. It will take awhile before it reaches the minimum rated capacity when new of 4323 mAh. Until that time, it will show 100% battery health.

Aside from charging habits, that’s the main reason why one phone can stay at 100% longer than another.
Exactly! Which really makes all this obsession over battery health so stupid because not everyone’s phone comes with exactly the same battery capacity and not everyone has the same usage habits.

My 13 PM came with 4495mAh, it’s now at 4415mAh after 7 months of heavy usage so it’s still showing 100%, it will probably hit 99% in the next 3-4 months (we are going into winter so it will be in colder conditions).

I charge it when I want, between the 12W ans 18W charger, I’ve never bothered to use the 5W brick.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023
I have a 14 Pro Max launch day phone, my battery is at 97%, which kind of surprised me. But I am using a wireless charger stand, and I understood that wireless charging will take a larger toll on the battery.
Battery health is still in good shape

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Worrying about battery health is completely pointless in my opinion. Not only because there are no guarantees.
Upgrading devices frequently makes worrying pointless, you’ll upgrade before any impact can be noticed. If you upgrade yearly, it’s even more pointless.
If you keep devices for a while, but you update iOS, worrying is pointless, iOS updates will obliterate battery life regardless of battery health.
If you keep devices for a while and maintain original versions of iOS, worrying is pointless, battery health is completely irrelevant.

In any usage pattern I can think of... worrying about battery health is pointless.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Reposting a post I made I’m another thread:

My 14PM is at 97%. I noticed it a few weeks ago. I’m surprised by it because my iPhone 13 Pro and most of my other iPhones have seemed to stay at 100% for close to a year after launch. I use optimized battery charging, clean energy charging, and a slower wireless charger which should generate less heat than a MagSafe branded one. Also, the 14PM has a larger battery capacity than past iPhones I’ve had which should mean I should have less charging cycles compared to smaller batteries, so I don’t really understand why my capacity is down 3% already. I don’t expose my phone to extreme temperature really either. The only thing I can think of is that I mostly used a 5W wired charger for my old iPhones, and this is my first one consistently using a wireless charger every night which could generate more heat and is less efficient compared to wired.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Battery health on my 14 Pro Max has been significantly worse than prior models. My 12 Pro Max and 13 Pro Max were at 96% and 97% after one year. My launch day 14 Pro Max is already down to 92% with no notable changes in usage or charging.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Weird, mines still at 100% and majority of charging is done through MagSafe. I never let it drop below 40% if I can help it. But overnight it’s always charged to 100%

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

neutrino17

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2022
iPhone 14 Pro purchased on launch weekend. Still at 100%. I charge it every night by the cable. I’m not a heavy duty user. It‘s usually around 80% at the end of the day. My iPad, on the other hand, gets two full charges a day Plus the time I use it plugged in. 5th generation 12.9 iPad Pro

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I received my 14 Pro Max at launch and had to get a replacement in January this year. It’s still at 100%. I do use the phone heavily and have it on Low Power Mode all the time also.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Launch day 14 plus already down to 92%.

Only ever use apples MagSafe charger.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
Over the years my wife and I have each owned a 5S, 6S, 8, and now a 13. We owned each of these 2 years or more, and each one up until the 13, if you checked the battery health on the phone itself, remained at 100% the entire time. Of course I knew that couldn't be accurate. Now on our current Iphone 13 models which are 15 + months old, mine shows 93% and hers shows 96%. Both of us are retired and spend a large share of our time with access to wi-fi.

arian71

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
Moon, and safe from the ban
Do not worry about battery life, all those percentages are just a estimate ********, coconut says my iphone 13 pro max new 102, 101, 103, 104, now is 103 %, the same macbook pro m1 last year 88%, now sits at 93.4%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.