Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozshadow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
Is the iPhone 7+ battery replacement at the Apple Store a complete phone swap or do they actually replace just the battery while you wait? Looks to be $49?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Is the iPhone 7+ battery replacement at the Apple Store a complete phone swap or do they actually replace just the battery while you wait? Looks to be $49?

They will replace the battery and if they can’t then a a phone swap. For the one out of 5 times I broke my iPhone 6 Plus one was a phone swap because something was wrong with the LCD screen. I assume if something isn’t up to snuff for a battery the same applies ?

eyet

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2019
They replaced my battery while I waited. It definitely was not a phone swap.

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
Why would it be a phone swap?

You pay for a battery replacement and that’s what you get.

Apple may replace the iPhone only under certain conditions.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Why would it be a phone swap?

You pay for a battery replacement and that’s what you get.

Apple may replace the iPhone only under certain conditions.

I just said that ... it’s most likely a battery replacement but could be a phone swap under certain circumstances

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
I can't confirm this with 100% certainty, but I sent my iPhone 7 in for a battery change. It came back the same aluminum back, but the screen looks pristine like new, so they might have given me a new screen too.

Reactions: jagooch

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
If during the battery replacement the adhesive strips tear or they damage the phone in some way they will give you a replacement. If the adhesive strips come free and no other damage occurs you only get a new battery only. They are not allowed to pry the battery from the case if the adhesive can't be removed due to the chance the battery could be damaged and ignite...

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
If during the battery replacement the adhesive strips tear or they damage the phone in some way they will give you a replacement. If the adhesive strips come free and no other damage occurs you only get a new battery only. They are not allowed to pry the battery from the case if the adhesive can't be removed due to the chance the battery could be damaged and ignite...

I was just going to point this out. This would be another case where it would be an entire device swap.

There are other ways the device could be swapped as well such as LCD having something wrong, the cellular radio could have some damage or something be wrong, the antenna even could as well. Another thing that Apple will replace for when opening the phone is something that be seen like with speakers, mother board and the charging port as well.

OP 9.5 times out of ten it will be a simple battery swap, but there are other common issues that can cause a device swap. Which one are you wanting? The battery? Or the entire device swapped?
[automerge]1576200498[/automerge]
I can't confirm this with 100% certainty, but I sent my iPhone 7 in for a battery change. It came back the same aluminum back, but the screen looks pristine like new, so they might have given me a new screen too.

This is likely. They could have cracked the LCD when opening the phone or did something to the backlight or anything. Which in that case would cause them to have to replace the screen. That would be very nice to send it in for a battery replacement and get it back with a brand new pristine screen as well. Definitely a win win.
Personally for me the iPhone 7 has been my go to since it was released. I have had the 8, 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and I always go back to my 7. Idk what it is about the phone but I love it. I’ve had an X at least 5 times now and I’ve had the 8 and 8 Plus in every color except the Plus in red lol! Something just send me back to my iPhone7 in matte black ?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

A battery swap.

Though the Apple store I went to would end up issuing me a replacement 8+ instead when their attempt to replace the battery failed. Which in turn qualified me for a free year of TV+.

So in a sense, you are actually rooting for the battery swap to fail.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Moral of the story: if something goes wrong during the swap, yes they have been known to replace the phone. So hope that your tech had a rough night out the night before, which led to a fight with their significant other, and then sat in a traffic jam on the way to work!

Reactions: tt061282

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
About to do second battery swap on my 7 plus - Apple support app is telling me I should update to latest iOS, is this essential?

I'm still on 12.4.1 and don't want to go to 13 as it changes look and layout of things like email which I don't like.

After 12 months my 1st replacement battery is 89% capacity which, with heavy use means I have to charge late afternoon. Happy to pay the £50 to get me though until September 2020.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.