Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hi guys, I just switched from an iPhone 6 to and 8 and I'm finding the home button is not as sensitive as when I need to double-tap it to bring the whole screen down for one hand accessibility. On the iPhone 6 just a light double tap does the trick but I find on the 8, half the time I have to literally jab at it to make it work. Is it just me or am I missing some kind of setting somewhere? On iOS13.3 at the moment. I've also tried the 'switch off and press the home button to reset' options. And also the 1,2 or 3 option under General/Home Button.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The 6 has a mechanical home button the 8 has a capacitive home button. As @BrianBaughn stated, two different technologies. The haptic feedback you feel as a "click" on the 8 is adjustable to an extent but it will never feel or respond like a mechanical button.

Reactions: FrankCataldi14

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Regarding the reachability function it is the same though. If you have a screen protector and the home button sits a little deeper now, it could be the issue.

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Thanks for the input guys. I do understand that they are different types of buttons. I'm not talking about them needing to feel the same though. On the iPhone 8, the double tapping is incredibly hard to get right, so I'm wondering if it's a faulty home button or if it's that it's just less sensitive to the double tap?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.