Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Can't use OLED screens due to PWM related headaches and eyestrain. Have tried everything from the iPhone X to 12, 13 to now 15 Pro which I had to return after a week of trying to make it work. But it was a no go.

My iPhone 11 feels old and slow. That leaves the iPhone SE 3. Is it still a good phone? How long does it take to get used to the home button and the smaller screen? Do you feel the loss of a second camera?

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Can't use OLED screens due to PWM related headaches and eyestrain. Have tried everything from the iPhone X to 12, 13 to now 15 Pro which I had to return after a week of trying to make it work. But it was a no go.

My iPhone 11 feels old and slow. That leaves the iPhone SE 3. Is it still a good phone?

The SE is the best buy (i.e., only buy) in the iPhone lineup if you can't use OLED. If you go that route and are planning to buy through Apple, they will likely offer a gift card (last year it was $50) on the SE during the Black Friday to Cyber Monday period.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I have one as my work issued phone (the only phone model they issue) and it's just fine. Speed wise, it's identical to my 13 Pro, which makes sense as they have the same processor.

I think it's good phone and the home button doesn't bother me, nor does the refresh rate.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

My iPhone 11 feels old and slow. That leaves the iPhone SE 3. Is it still a good phone? How long does it take to get used to the home button and the smaller screen? Do you feel the loss of a second camera?

It’s a good value proposition for some people coming from bigger phones with no home button and a better camera, but not for others. It’s subjective and I don’t think you’re going to find any unanimous vote. But even if you did, it still wouldn’t necessarily mean you’d agree, nor would it change that you don’t have much choice. Or are you considering any other options? If not, all you can do is give it a try during the return window (which I believe is extended for the US holiday season, or will be soon).
If you mean value compared to the rest of the lineup, the 13 has the same chip, and comparing at the same 128GB storage, it's $480 for the SE and $600 for the 13 (you could go down to $430 for the SE if you’re ok with 64GB, or up to $900 for the 13 if you want 512GB). For the extra $120, the 13 has a better camera, better display, magsafe, Face ID, and being bigger it has a bigger screen and battery but less mobility. As far as longevity, my guess is both will go to around 2027 with OS updates. But of course the 13 is OLED.

I have a 2022 SE and one complaint I have is it's easy to drop because of its rounded slippery edges. It’s ok with a skin or case though.

Edit- iPhone 13 also has a UWB chip, which SE does not.

Last edited:
Reactions: saintforlife

TheSilverMeteor

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2023
That is the phone I have, and love it! Home button, I like a lot also. Small, and fits in your pockets easy. I can use it all day, and only recharge at night. Yes YMMV.

Walmart has this phone right now via Straight Talk for $84, ($49 for the phone + $35 for one month of service). It is only locked to Straight Talk for 60 days. After that, use it with any service you want to.

just got this $84 deal for my wife. She loves it also.

Reactions: saintforlife

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It’s a really bad buy compared to iPhone 13, but what choice do you have if you can take OLED?

Yep, this. Battery sucks if you’re a heavy user so you might want to carry a power bank.

I’m a light user and have my SE on a charging dock all day at the office so battery life isn’t an issue for me normally. However, I’m definitely bringing a power bank on trips.

Obviously, the SE3 has a smaller 4.7” display as well. This can be a major downside for some users used to bigger screens. I use my iPad mini most of the time so not an issue for me. The iPhone, I just use for calls, camera and e-wallet.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Its a great value phone for the price. Its small, light and the last one that still using Touch ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.