Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cconti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
I have just revived an old 2009 Mac Mini (3,1) with High Sierra. it went from essentially a high tech paperweight to a pretty useful machine in less than an hour. I am thrilled. The SSD alone speeds up things dramatically and I am looking to upgrade the RAM (currently 3GB for some reason).

I was a lot less thrilled when I plugged in my Lexicon Lambda Studio SoundCard. The Lambda works (barely) on my windows 10 machine, but now that I have a working Mac, I was planning to use my iPad and my newly back from the dead Mac Mini as a sketchpad for my songwriting.

Unfortunately, after plugging in the Lambda into the Mac Mini I get a "The Selected device has no outputs/Inputs" notice.
In the MIDI Audio Devices things look marginally better as it gives me a number of popup menus, but there also things don't work too well (at all, in fact).

I have a collection of old soundcards that ended up in the dustbin because the manufacturers did not see it fit to write new drivers, but I thought things were better on the Mac side. A couple of really old cards that stopped working with Windows XP are somehow recognized as valid input devices on my iPad (one in fact works great and allows me to use a pro Mic, the other has a lot of lag but works). I was hoping MacOs would be the same.

Since I was able to resurrect my Mac Mini from the dead, I was hoping I could do something similar with the Lexicon Lambda, a card that was not very cheap back in the day and that has a lot of input/outputs I could really use.

Is there a way to resque this card to use with High Sierra or should I just give up?

Thank you.

Lexicon Lambda image below:
1591932578278.jpeg

cconti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
I believe El Capitan killed it so the funeral was in 2016.
R.I.P.
We shall mourn the Lambda with Capitan Morgan Rum and hire a Dixieland band for the funeral.

At least it works in Windows. Now I have to find my other old cards and test them. I tried a Tascam US-122, which is almost as old as my daughter (she is getting her PhD in literally days) and that too won't even show up. Too bad because those old cards had a lot of inputs and outputs. New card are stingy that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.