Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Quick yes or no question. I have AppleCare until September, and it looks like a rodent has been chewing on my cables. At first it seemed no big issue, but when I rearranged my cable while it was plugged in, sparks flew. It seems a bit dangerous, and I want to avoid ghetto rigging it if apple can replace it. Is this covered?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Quick yes or no question. I have AppleCare until September, and it looks like a rodent has been chewing on my cables. At first it seemed no big issue, but when I rearranged my cable while it was plugged in, sparks flew. It seems a bit dangerous, and I want to avoid ghetto rigging it if apple can replace it. Is this covered?

Yes, the adapter is included in your Mac's AppleCare coverage, but only for defects. AppleCare doesn't cover damage from accidents or wear and tear.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I had three replaced under Applecare. None had any outward signs of damage-all had wires break inside the insulation just past the power brick despite the fact that I was always careful to use the "official" winding method of leaving a large loop sticking out from the first turn. Most would work if the wire was held "just right", but were otherwise unusable.

All of mine were replaced no questions asked when I took them into the genius bar. They just verified that my old charger no longer worked, then brought a new one out from the back and confirmed that it worked. Every time, I think I was in and out in 15 minutes or less.

Knowing that my Apple care will soon be running out, I've since been stocking up on spare(OEM) chargers on Ebay. Rather than carrying one with me all the time, I just keep them at a couple of locations at home and keep one at work. This saves wear and tear as I just have to grab the cable and plug it in. I'll also add that I generally buy the T-type chargers, which I prefer to the current L-shaped ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.