Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigmu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Huntsvile, Alabama
Is the MacPro worth the upgrade from a g5 dual 1.8ghz 4.5 gig ram with nvidia 6800 ddl video card 256megs
Are there any known issues with the macpro how soon will the software catch up to the new system.
Not planing on running windows on a Apple Computer that was the reason for my switch to get away from windows.
Power was a key reason for my purchase no speed and also OSX is a gem all by it self.
Just looking for insight

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Is the MacPro worth the upgrade from a g5 dual 1.8ghz 4.5 gig ram with nvidia 6800 ddl video card 256megs
Are there any known issues with the macpro how soon will the software catch up to the new system.
Not planing on running windows on a Apple Computer that was the reason for my switch to get away from windows.
Power was a key reason for my purchase no speed and also OSX is a gem all by it self.
Just looking for insight

Depends on what you do. If you're prepared to use Beta software then the Mac Pro with CS3 would be quite a bit faster. Any native apps are quite a bit faster. It sounds like you're in no rush to though, maybe you should consider waiting until the next refresh of the Mac Pro line and buying then?

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Please be more specific if what you do, or want to do. They system you have is pretty powerful, and for some all they need. Do certain tasks run slow for you?
Without more info, there's no need to justify a new computer.

bigmu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Huntsvile, Alabama
I am learning and experimenting with photos and video. I want to learn scripting. learning how to use mac's. I am still learning but love the platform.
any tips or must reads

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Honestly if all your doing is learn how to use Macs...I doubt you need a Mac Pro.

What Apps are you using are we talking iPhoto+iMovie for Photos and Vids or Photoshop and Final Cut?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
i had a dual powermac G5 1.8 with 3.5gb of ram, x800xt graphics card upgrade.

I upgraded to a 2.66 mac pro with 3gb ram and the X1900xt graphics card upgrade.

The mac pro is noticeably faster, even in some rosetta programmes, and photoshop CS2 seems to be at least the same speed as my previous powermac and I know it will only get faster when CS3 is out.

I have no quarms of recommending the upgrade.

Final Cut is a lot faster, especially motion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.