Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Do You Think?

• Total voters

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
I think it would depend what said person used the powerbook 12 inch for. If you just appreciate the small form factor to carry around, take notes, work on documents, etc, I think the Macbook Air is great. I mean you can't complain about it's performance: it's still probably 6x faster than those slow-as-hell G4 chips.

But if you needed a full feature computer, then the MBA would not cut it since it obviously lacks certain things. In my opinion, though, I do not use firewire and I plug everything in into 1 single USB port and use external speakers as well. I could see myself using it as my main computer, only if they put a bigger (160 gig) hard drive into it.

DGaio

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
Unfortunately, being thin does not equal ultra-portable. The footprint is still to big. If it was a 12", I'm sure many would stop complaining, and would start seeing some value in the Macbook Air.

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
yes and no. but mainly no. but i voted yes. but mainly no.

Being that the powerbook is no longer available, and the mba is out at the same price as the powerbook when it was out, i would vote, yes. but mainly say no. :D

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
What does the price have to do with it? Because it's about the same price as the old 12"PB then it's a good replacement for it? That's nuts. You could pick anything that costs about the same ( a different brand of laptop, just over 100,000 penny sweets, a nice three piece suite for the living room) and say it's a good replacement because, after all, it costs about the same :)

The MBA is an interesting thing, it's a funky thing, it's a trendy thing..but it's not a particularly able machine.

The MBA should be considered the opposite 'side' of the Macbook from the MBP. It's a Macbook 'lite'. That table that goes MB, MBA, MBP is missleading. That's just the cost order, nothing to do with the machines themselves. It's not designed as, nor could anyone possibly consider it to be anything like a replacement for any of the PB range.

Before - there was 12" and 14" ibook, 12", 15", 17" PB.

Now we have MBA, MB, MIA, MBP, MBP

The 12" PB is still missing in action.

Doug

Prometheus101

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
I think it is a great replacement for the 12 inch because i allways found the keboard hard to type on because the edge was so close to the keys, also the are heeps of performance gains from the old 12er

Fimo

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
Toronto, ON
Undecided right now, I want to see one in person before I decide whether to upgrade from my current 12" PB G4.

On a side note I wish they will put the ambient light sensor on a MB keyboard as well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.