Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mspman

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I’ve noticed a drop in reception going from iPhone 8+ to XS max, definitely. And yes I am basing that on bars.. but it’s all other things being equal.. same spot, same time, same weather. Perhaps the bars are being misrepresented.. that’s possible. But I’ve also noticed when I leave my parking garage, I can be on the highway before my phone reconnects. That’s actually the worst part bc I’m worried about missing a call.

mydogeatsbeats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
I’ve noticed a drop in reception going from iPhone 8+ to XS max, definitely. And yes I am basing that on bars.. but it’s all other things being equal.. same spot, same time, same weather. Perhaps the bars are being misrepresented.. that’s possible. But I’ve also noticed when I leave my parking garage, I can be on the highway before my phone reconnects. That’s actually the worst part bc I’m worried about missing a call.

That is exactly what I mean!

I also only have 3G on places where I had LTE before
[doublepost=1537624587][/doublepost]
How do you quantify "feel"?

Its just that I feel, that I have more often no data reception

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
well that's seemingly discouraging if true. Waiting on mine, but will compare obv when it comes.

Reactions: 5105973

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
Reactions: Btcobra

mydogeatsbeats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
Reactions: MacGurl111

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
I looked in this morning just to see if anyone else was noticing worse reception. This seems far worse for me than my 8+. Data speeds for downloading apps are abysmal for me right now and an area that before was weak but usable now has ‘No Service’ with my XS. Leaving to drive to Phoenix on Monday. Guess that’ll be a good test and I suppose I’ll take my box along in case it doesn’t perform well.

Reactions: m-a and mspman

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Darn. I bought this in part for stereo audio recording capability and for better modem performance and call quality than I’d been getting on my intel 8 Plus. I guess I’ll just see how it goes.

mydogeatsbeats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
Darn. I bought this in part for stereo audio recording capability and for better modem performance and call quality than I’d been getting on my intel 8 Plus. I guess I’ll just see how it goes.

Yes me too I thought with the max my reception would be better :(
[doublepost=1537631563][/doublepost]
I looked in this morning just to see if anyone else was noticing worse reception. This seems far worse for me than my 8+. Data speeds for downloading apps are abysmal for me right now and an area that before was weak but usable now has ‘No Service’ with my XS. Leaving to drive to Phoenix on Monday. Guess that’ll be a good test and I suppose I’ll take my box along in case it doesn’t perform well.

That is what I am also noticing, but ofcourse no real proof yet :(.

Reactions: m-a

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yes me too I thought with the max my reception would be better :(
[doublepost=1537631563][/doublepost]

That is what I am also noticing, but ofcourse no real proof yet :(.
It’s hard for me to tell because I’m at home on WiFi.

Lol, I need to call my dad. My phones get subjected to the Dad test. If he yells “Are you calling me from the bottom of a well again?” I know there’s a problem. I’ve been having to call him from my Android phones for years because iPhones either have a mic or modem problem— or both. I’m not sure.

And I need another road trip. But that’s another month away. Regardless, I am planning on keeping this phone. I’ll just be a bit disappointed that things have gotten worse on this front. But that’s Apple...we’ve been holding our phones wrong for years now.

benboy12

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2014
I am also noticing poor reception/speed. I upgraded from a 7+ to XS Max on Verizon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.