Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Since ios 7, I have trouble using the music scrubber, it's too damn thin and small.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Yup. Somehow they wanted to go for aesthetics over functionality.

When you try to scrub, the scrubber jumps all over the place. Sometimes it jumps right at the end or at the beginning even if moved slightly.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I'm not familiar with the term scrubber but I assume you mean the little progress bar with the play button that shows up when a song is playing. I agree, it's way too small. If you swipe up on it (in iOS 8.4) it'll fill the screen. Not real intuitive, there's nothing to indicate you can make it larger but once it's larger there's a button to re-minimize it. Not sure if that helps but I thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It isn't very accurate either. Very hard to judge small movements forwards or back.
I know it's a third party app but the You Tube scrubber bar is awful to get hold of. It's almost like my touchscreen doesn't work.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The actual touch point is probably the same, just the visual cue that looks small.

Oddly enough, I often end up ignoring it, because it just doesn’t seem that inviting to me. Like it’s there, but the OS and its design don’t want me to use it. By contrast, iOS 1–6 would likely entice users a bit more to touch the buttons, because they looked like they wanted to be touched.

This is how it looked by the way (it’s been so long!):

music-app-iOS-6-1.jpg

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Yup. Somehow they wanted to go for aesthetics over functionality.

When you try to scrub, the scrubber jumps all over the place. Sometimes it jumps right at the end or at the beginning even if moved slightly.

You have a point there, a large button would look odd in the flatter UI.

Bring back the iOS 6 UI! (wishful thinking, I know.. I know)

soy

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Brooklyn
Does no-one know about fine scrubbing?

Has been in iOS for years, and has worked the exact same way before and after iOS7 (just double checked on 8.3 to make sure I wasn't making it up).

Grab the scrubber with your finger, and slide up. Under the scrubber it'll change from saying High Speed Scrubbing to Half Speed Scrubbing to Quarter Speed Scrubbing and so on the higher you go.

/thread

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

Has been in iOS for years, and has worked the exact same way before and after iOS7 (just double checked on 8.3 to make sure I wasn't making it up).

Grab the scrubber with your finger, and slide up. Under the scrubber it'll change from saying High Speed Scrubbing to Half Speed Scrubbing to Quarter Speed Scrubbing and so on the higher you go.

/thread

Excellent point! I was not aware of that!:apple:

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011

/thread

And lower you go if it's a video.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012

/thread

I love you right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.