Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaben3421

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2011
CA
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering. I recently had a flash drive stolen, and want to encrypt it so if it happens again, they won't be able to access my data again. I then noticed that Finder nows allows you to encrypt a GPT drive in the Mountain Lion DP preview. I was wondering if you encrypt it using this new feature in Mountain Lion, is it compatible with Lion, or Snow Leopard, since I have other computers running those operating systems and need to know if I can still swap data or will finder not recognize it? Has anyone tried this? Thanks...

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Lion introduced this encryption however the ability to encrypt disks is only accessible from Disk Utility. The drive should be compatible with Lion.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering. I recently had a flash drive stolen, and want to encrypt it so if it happens again, they won't be able to access my data again. I then noticed that Finder nows allows you to encrypt a GPT drive in the Mountain Lion DP preview. I was wondering if you encrypt it using this new feature in Mountain Lion, is it compatible with Lion, or Snow Leopard, since I have other computers running those operating systems and need to know if I can still swap data or will finder not recognize it? Has anyone tried this? Thanks...
Encrypted (non-sparse) disk images (AES-128) should be compatible with SL, Lion and ML. You can create them with Disk Utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.