Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vladid

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2008
Easy there sport. Sorry you're disappointed with the Mac Pro offering, but it clearly does not target you as a customer if you believe it's priced out of reach. The Mac Pro is not a computer for the masses, but rather a specific subset of power users who demand the performance.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Uh. Neither of these items are needed by the masses. See the word "Pro". You do not need this for Facebook and email.
[doublepost=1559597151][/doublepost]
Uh. Neither of these items are needed by the masses. See the word "Pro". You do not need this for Facebook and email.
Wait, you just joined today? Shocker. Obvious troll is obvious, sorry for feeding it.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Im always amazed with people like you, "for the masses", wtf, once i even saw a macrumor member waiting for the 7,1 so he could replace his current HTPC.

Why do these people pop up from time to time in this subforum, having absolutely no clue what a Mac Pro is, whats its for and who its for?

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
The new Mac Pro is actually very competitively priced when compared to Z Workstations and other Pro machines. Yes, you could build a PC for cheaper, but professionals rarely do that. They go with workstations that have support behind them. So if you look at it that way, Apple is now the cheapest option for that type of pro workstation. Especially with the monitor. I've been in the market for a pro HDR reference display for DolbyVision grading, and the only ones on the market until today have cost around $50,000.

So before you start ripping on Apple for this Mac Pro, put things into perspective! Apple is seriously undercutting their competitors, and giving us a less expensive option that's arguably much, much better. Just because it wasn't designed for you doesn't mean it's not what real professionals want. This is exactly what we wanted!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
This is the price for a Z workstation that has similar config. It seems the 7,1 isn't that expensive indeed.

Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 4.56.46 AM.png

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
The new Mac Pro is actually very competitively priced when compared to Z Workstations and other Pro machines. Yes, you could build a PC for cheaper, but professionals rarely do that. They go with workstations that have support behind them. So if you look at it that way, Apple is now the cheapest option for that type of pro workstation. Especially with the monitor. I've been in the market for a pro HDR reference display for DolbyVision grading, and the only ones on the market until today have cost around $50,000.

So before you start ripping on Apple for this Mac Pro, put things into perspective! Apple is seriously undercutting their competitors, and giving us a less expensive option that's arguably much, much better. Just because it wasn't designed for you doesn't mean it's not what real professionals want. This is exactly what we wanted!

Awesome. But I'd still like to see a ”headless” iMac – basically a desktop tower without a display and a dedicated graphics card, call it semi-Pro if you will. I find it sad that Apple doesn't sell that kind of desktop computer. The Mac mini is somewhat interesting, but an eGPU still gets considerably less performance than if it's being connected directly to a PCI-Express slot.

MacPro2020

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
I’m happy they created a computer for Bill Gates but I’m still left with no solution to stay as a Mac user. I need an expandable desktop that can cut 4K raw that will run Catalina. Shame on Apple, Tim Cook is a terrible CEO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I've been posting on here since the original Mac Pro, same reactions across the web every time. No such reaction to HP, Lenovo, Dell, Fujitsu, Sun, Boxx and other vendors had same products and prices.

Or when Caterpillar, JCB, or John Deere announce new heavy plant machinery/tractors and they aren't priced like a family car.
[doublepost=1559601693][/doublepost]
people keep thinking apple is gonna release some dumb little dell box with sharp corners and a micro atx case with a **** tear chipset for $1299.99 on sale today for 899.99. Never gonna happen.

Lol yep, for 13 years! 6 of which were between announcements of a Mac Pro lol. Nothing changes.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Awesome. But I'd still like to see a ”headless” iMac – basically a desktop tower without a display and a dedicated graphics card, call it semi-Pro if you will. I find it sad that Apple doesn't sell that kind of desktop computer. The Mac mini is somewhat interesting, but an eGPU still gets considerably less performance than if it's being connected directly to a PCI-Express slot.

Never going to happen...Apple stopped addressing that market when the Power Mac G5 shipped. The Mac Pro put the final nail in the coffin and Apple moved the Mac Pro further upmarket to give the iMac some breathing room.

The mini-tower PC is not the market where Apple wants to compete, there is no upside for them.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
This is the price for a Z workstation that has similar config. It seems the 7,1 isn't that expensive indeed.
How convenient that your "comparison" is against a Scalable Xeon that can go to dual sockets, 56 cores, 3 TiB RAM and 48 TB of internal storage. (https://petapixel.com/2017/09/13/hp-z8-pc-can-upgraded-insane-3tb-ram-48tb-storage/)

Perhaps you would be more credible if you compared it to a Xeon-W single socket workstation from HP.

Jesus H. Christ Riding a Bicycle - I hate these "price comparisons" between Apples and Walnuts.

filterdecay

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2017
How convenient that your "comparison" is against a Scalable Xeon that can go to dual sockets, 56 cores, 3 TiB RAM and 48 TB of internal storage.

Perhaps you would be more credible if you compared it to a Xeon-W single socket workstation from HP.

Jesus H. Christ Riding a Bicycle - I hate these "price comparisons" between Apples and Walnuts.

it wouldnt be more comparable because the w cpu isnt the one going in this. Its a new product that has close to the specs of the system he posted.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Reactions: knweiss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.