Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
That's the M2 Ultra model. The M2 ''Extreme" would be a 48 core CPU. I would not get it but seems MUCH more interesting than 6,1 but sadly I doubt it will be expandable like 7,1.

No talk of the expanability. That’s just the SoC. So who knows. All I know is if it doesn’t have enough slots or no upgradable graphics card, I’m done with apple and moving on.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I have literally no use for a PC so no. And I'll never understand these threads where a competitor finally one ups someone and everyone thinks that someone is dead. We have no clue what Apple has in store. Jumping ship over one announcement is a little silly.

Kimmo

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
No talk of the expanability. That’s just the SoC. So who knows. All I know is if it doesn’t have enough slots or no upgradable graphics card, I’m done with apple and moving on.
Yeah, I hope we're wrong, but it's really hard to avoid the impression that the new Mac Pro will just be a higher spec version of the Studio.

While the machine they're testing would be great for my current use case, if it locks me in on storage and memory that will be a disappointment.

Also, the unified and expandable form factor of the Mac Pro (aside from the 6,1) is one of its big advantages, in my view. If the 8,1 goes back to the bundle of snakes and boxes approach of the 6,1 (and the Studio) that will be another strike against it.

1658783330167.png

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

Horselover Fat

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Germany
No more Mac Pro for me. My plan is to get a Mac mini (M2 or M3) for work (I don‘t do video or photo) plus a PC for games. It was nice to have everything in one box while it lasted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.