Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I ordered the Mini 6 and selling the Mini 5. I am wondering if I also need to upgrade from the v1 Pencil to the v2 Pencil. I know it's compatible but is it necessary? I guess I can't charge my v1 Pencil on the Mini 6 because of the USB-C port but I can find adapter for that. Can I even use the v1 pencil on the Mini 6?

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I would say that it’s worth it for two reasons: easy charging with the magnets and the possibility to switch between two modes with two taps (like eraser and pencil).

I’m not even sure if the gen1 is compatible on the iPad Mini 6, beside the charging port

Thank you for the reply. I think I just needed a little nudge.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I ordered the Mini 6 and selling the Mini 5. I am wondering if I also need to upgrade from the v1 Pencil to the v2 Pencil. I know it's compatible but is it necessary? I guess I can't charge my v1 Pencil on the Mini 6 because of the USB-C port but I can find adapter for that. Can I even use the v1 pencil on the Mini 6?
I haven't found any definitive answer on the Mini 6's support of the Pencil 1, but if the Mini 6 is like every other iPad that supports the Pencil 2 then... no, it doesn't support the Pencil 1.

This is one of the reasons why I will not be upgrading my Mini 5 to the 6. Everything along the way is more expensive. The device itself, the Pencil 2, and smartfolios.

Not only were the Mini 5 accessories cheaper to begin with, but they're now on clearance with the release of the 6. I'm getting original Apple smartcovers for the Mini 5 (new, unopened) for $5-10 each. Not just for a variety of colors, but to have some that have the Pencil sling and some that don't.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Since the new mini is USB C and the pencil Gen 1 charges and pairs via the lightning port I would have to say that the first Gen pencil is not going to work on the mini 6.

Reactions: slueck

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
According to Apple, you'll have to upgrade. Luckily, Pencils go on sale all the time and often sell for less to begin with at certain retailers like Costco.

Costco is only $5 less but I’ll keep an eye out for sales. I can wait a little bit.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I ordered the pencil using my chase ultimate rewards points. Because I haven’t traveled in a year and a half, I have so many points! Lol. Not sure when I’ll be getting on a plane internationally again, so I decided I might as well use it for this. 😁

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.