Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
Just bought a new pixel 8 to supplement my iPhone 13 Pro. It was a great deal from google and I was excited to try something new. Within the first 15 mins of use, it feels super hot, slow, janky, and apps close with no warning. Is this the best Google can do? I’ll be returning it.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
It seems like you did not give it enough time to set up IMO ... I've been using the 8 Pro since release and it's definitely not my experience

Reactions: Technerd108

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just bought a new pixel 8 to supplement my iPhone 13 Pro. It was a great deal from google and I was excited to try something new. Within the first 15 mins of use, it feels super hot, slow, janky, and apps close with no warning. Is this the best Google can do? I’ll be returning it.
funny...I have a similar experience as well. My new phone was super slow and got really hot during setup. The camera seemed to stutter and had lag. I was really glad a gave it about half a day to settle things down because my iPhone 15 PM has been rock solid ever since......

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Switch to grapheneos and enjoy your new Pixel. Unless you can't do that because you are one of those people who write posts like that without ever having owned the device.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
In answer to your question and the thread title... Yes it is meant to be slow. Google decided for the 8 series that they wanted to make a phone that was just a mess. Laggy, stuttery, over heating all the things you said your phone is.
It was their aim to achieve all of that with this phone so if you are not a fan maybe return it and buy something else?
😂

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
Switch to grapheneos and enjoy your new Pixel. Unless you can't do that because you are one of those people who write posts like that without ever having owned the device.
Is grapheneos faster than stock android in a pixel? I may do that.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I half don't know if this is a legitimate post or some kind of flame post? I am going to assume this is a real question for the sake of my response but take the actual validity of the post with a grain of salt.

There have been problems using Google's data migration tool that can cause everything the OP claims. But after setup is complete the issue never returns.

Why even buy a Pixel if you are not going to use Pixel UI? You will lose a lot of functionality with Graphene OS.
I don't understand why anyone would buy a Pixel and slap another OS on top of it? If you are worried about privacy then maybe a smartphone in general or anything connected to the Internet may not be a wise choice. The performance difference between the two is negligible.

However if the best Google can do isn't fast enough for you then maybe a gaming phone with an active fan like the Red Magic 8 Pro? If you actually care about more than benchmarks or gaming then the Pixel 8 Pro is a much better choice.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Any updates OP? Did you get your issues resolved or did you return the phone?

If you did return it, did you buy something else?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
15 minutes? I don't remember any device being completely ready for about a week.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.