Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Just wondering how much work you think still needs to be done to Tiger before it's bug-free. I'm sure they wouldn't give 3,000 developers a buggy OS, but then again, they do have a whole year to fine tune it. So what are your thoughts?

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
johnbro23 said:
Just wondering how much work you think still needs to be done to Tiger before it's bug-free. I'm sure they wouldn't give 3,000 developers a buggy OS, but then again, they do have a whole year to fine tune it. So what are your thoughts?

Yes it'll be buggy
How much work before it isn't? from now untill the first half of 2005 ;)

developers will use it for testing and will have backups and redundencies for when Tiger crashes and looses data.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
It's probably far from being bug free. Although the preview probably is pretty sturdy, and can be run for your normal system. The developers can take a hit if something fails though, because (if they're smart) they have an extra system or are ready to replace their data. Save a few (hm, iTunes), most of Apple's software is pretty safe, even when developing.
–Chase

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
They use the feedback from developers to work on the debugging so yes, it could have many bugs.

It isn't being given to the developers as a "be all and end all" OS... it is being given to them to allow some familiarization time with it. Along the way they report back bugs to Apple.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Having had three of their betas (10.0, 10.1, and 10.2), I would say that this one will be very, very buggy. I can't imagine that they've found a new way to develop an operating system that doesn't have huge flaws while adding big changes.

Some of them have been so good as it was possible to run a day or two without crashing. Other releases along the way weren't quite so stable.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
As a developer, (Select) I got my copy of Tiger legitimately.

Yes, it has bugs. In the few hours I have used it have I had a kernal panic? Once when plugging in a windows formatted firewire external drive.

In general, its stable. Some aspects have quirks. Like netowrking with PCs, and sharing is off still. Syncing is also messed up. The new Safari has a few problems, and stuff like that. Will it eat your machine? Nope

Should you use it? Not unless you are a developer with a specific need. Its not ready for home use yet, hence the fact is 6 to 12 months away. Many NON APPLE apps WILL crash under Tiger. DiskWarrior does not work for me, Stuffit Deluxe does not work. AOL does not work well. Many games will randomly freeze and lock up.

Its a beta system, with much work still. Its far from Alpha, but far from ready as well.

Also, as with some developer builds, it can be hard to go back unless you have backups and often its hard to upgrade to the final qwithout a wipe of the rive (highly suggested anyway).

johnbro23 said:

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Mail is pretty bad, and safari isn't anything to write home about. But by far the buggiest POS in here is the .Mac integration. I can't even mount my iDisk!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
here it's great, from my friends that have installed it i have two of them are buggy as hell and just keep it on a partition and one it competely stable (like mine)

for me on my 600MHz ibook it's faster than panther and the dashboard is smooth and the itunes widget is smooth and responsive.

the only problem is that my the menu's on the top right don't look right.

and the mac rumors front page's tabs are all bunched up

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 374

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Bugz

Hoo yeah, it's buggy. And a lot of menu-modifying stuff won't work well or at all. MenuMaster seems to think the CPU is 100% busy most of the time and FruitMenu isn't even acknowledged. But, AOL and Stuffit Deluxe actually work without a hitch, so YMMV.

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
FYI..

Word has it that ADC Select developers got Tiger 8A16 in the mail over the past few days.. and a copy of Tiger Server and Xsan.. pretty much what I hear they gave out at WWDC.. fyi it's the same exact one that's been making the rounds on eDonkey, bitorrent, etc..

Tiger and Tiger Server came shipped on DVDs, Xsan only took up 50 or so MBs on a CD.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Having use Tiger for 5 days, I have to say I'm impressed, it's not as buggy as you would think.

I've had 1 kernel panick (1.5 hours after first use) while iTunes and Safari are open.

No freezes.

Dashboard works well enough that I use it often. (although the Calculator will still be running while your not using it, wasting RAM; similar with other gagets)

Safari seems MUCH faster, it's like I have broadband all over again. Except that it has some problems on webpages, like I can't view them. (see pic below)

Many apps are unstable under Tiger, for example IE (who uses that anyway), I can't use the hotmail with Mail hack, ect.

When I try to watch full screen movies, the tital bar at the top of the screen is still visible.

Of course, these are all the bad aspects of Tiger. ;)
It would take a much longer list to name all the good things. :cool:

and sorry the pic is a pdf, Preview won't export to a jpg. :mad:

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    13.3 KB · Views: 200

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
johnbro23 said:

Heh.. it'll be far from bug-free even when it ships!It's far less mature than Panther and Jaguar were when they were revealed to the public - since it's been shown far earlier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.