Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FixUserContentKarmaU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
Hello Community,

I own a 21.5 inch iMac from 2011 with 2.7 GHz quad core processor i5 from Intel and last month I removed the old AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics card and replaced it with the Quadro K610M. I chose the K610M because I'm not very handy and would have to mill something up for another graphics card.

My OS at the time was High Sierra and it ran really smooth for the age of this iMac. Now I have Big Sur on it and the Mac has become quite sluggish. Whether it's the slow boot process or launching programs and even virtualization has become noticeably slower.

Now, before I start looking for another card I wanted to ask you guys if maybe it's Big Sur that the Mac has become so slow or is it actually the K610M or both? When I compare the two graphics cards, the AMD was much better than the two years younger K610M (!).

If it is indeed the graphics card, which one would you recommend? Thanks and stay healthy everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.