Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
So I have some flac files. I want to convert to iTunes plus… 256kbps aac.

Is their a difference between ripping the album directly in the “music” app at 256 aac or converting flac to aac?

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
256 AAC is a lossy file. If you want to not lose fidelity, you can choose to convert to lossless ALAC instead

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
256 AAC is a lossy file. If you want to not lose fidelity, you can choose to convert to lossless ALAC instead
I prefer to have all my music in iTunes plus (256). Just not sure if converting from flac or straight from cd rip is same quality.
Some songs I found online are flac files and I converted them to acc 256 but I wonder if it would have been better if the person ripped it at “iTunes plus” from the cd

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
So I have some flac files. I want to convert to iTunes plus… 256kbps aac.

Is their a difference between ripping the album directly in the “music” app at 256 aac or converting flac to aac?

As far as I know - Apple Music (or iTunes) do not convert or play .flac files ? - strange because macOS has been able to play .flac files for a long time back - via quicktime

FWIW - I use Permuute to convert .flac files to .mp3 or .m4a (apple store) or whatever you wish - for use in Music - and then I create a archive sub-folder in the artist folder and keep the "orginal .flac files" in case I want to use them later for a better quality conversion - based on the theory that every-time you convert it will be be less quality than the original files

edit to correct .4Ma to .m4a - typo

Last edited:
Reactions: michael31986

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
As far as I know - Apple Music (or iTunes) do not convert or play .flac files ? - strange because macOS has been able to play .flac files for a long time back - via quicktime

FWIW - I use Permuute to convert .flac files to .mp3 or .4Ma (apple store) or whatever you wish - for use in Music - and then I create a archive sub-folder in the artist folder and keep the "orginal .flac files" in case I want to use them later for a better quality conversion - based on the theory that every-time you convert it will be be less quality than the original files
Yea I use a third party to convert my flax files to (iTunes plus).
Just was wondering if any difference in directly ripping to iTunes plus or converting a flax to iTunes plus.
But I think it’s the same.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Just was wondering if any difference in directly ripping to iTunes plus or converting a flax to iTunes plus.
It is the same.
FLAC is lossless, so it's the same as the CD it was ripped from.
And since CD = FLAC quality wise (lossless), the encoded AAC from either should be the same.

Personally, I would transcode from FLAC as it's faster than ripping the CD (and less potential for errors).

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver

My preferences are - to convert from CD with iTunes / Music with custom pref settings .mp3 at 320 bit rate- see screen shot - why convert to flac if you have the orginal CD?

CD-import-settings.png

For Flac files I convert to the similar 320 bit settings on the 3rd party software and keep the orginal .flac files archived as mentioned above.

I avoid the Apple lossless and other apple proprietary formats - but my "Apple purchased" music downloads as .4ma files which are non apple format - so I don't convert them (can always download again later)

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Assuming the encoder/converter uses the same encoding strategy and the Flac is the same sample rate and bit depth as the CD (44.1/16 (or higher)), no it'll be the same result.
Correct, but it will support ALAC which is a lossless format just like FLAC so there will be no conversion loss between Flac and alac. You can convert back and forth between those all day long and maintain quality, cause really they're just different containers for the same raw data.
XLD can convert and decode various lossless audio files including both ALAC and FLAC. It's the X Lossless Decoder.

Reactions: cbautis2

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
My preferences are - to convert from CD with iTunes / Music with custom pref settings .mp3 at 320 bit rate- see screen shot - why convert to flac if you have the orginal CD?

View attachment 1818704

For Flac files I convert to the similar 320 bit settings on the 3rd party software and keep the orginal .flac files archived as mentioned above.

I avoid the Apple lossless and other apple proprietary formats - but my "Apple purchased" music downloads as .4ma files which are non apple format - so I don't convert them (can always download again later)
They are files I found online of an album. So I don’t have the cd. So the files are flax or aalc but I don’t need that taking up space so I convert to m4a.

Reactions: mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Yeah I get that - especially for iOS devices with limited storage - ie iPod's etc

I mostly convert to .mp3's for this reason and more important to me because they are the most compatible files for may different devices - apple or otherwise

For my main music / media folder - on my External media drive - keeping a few original .flac files does not eat up a lot or space and nice to have the originals in the future - Space is not a big deal when comparing the space these require compared to video files and pictures etc.

I don’t need that taking up space so I convert to m4a.

I have a lot of .m4a files - mostly from Apple "Purchased Music" Apple store - I leave them alone - less work / time

Many of my first / old CD's were ripped to low file size 128 bit / 192 bit - back in the early 2000's Sound Jam days - slowly re ripping those CD's to 320 bit

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah I get that - especially for iOS devices with limited storage - ie iPod's etc

I mostly convert to .mp3's for this reason and more important to me because they are the most compatible files for may different devices - apple or otherwise

For my main music / media folder - on my External media drive - keeping a few original .flac files does not eat up a lot or space and nice to have the originals in the future - Space is not a big deal when comparing the space these require compared to video files and pictures etc.

I have a lot of .m4a files - mostly from Apple "Purchased Music" Apple store - I leave them alone - less work / time

Many of my first / old CD's were ripped to low file size 128 bit / 192 bit - back in the early 2000's Sound Jam days - slowly re ripping those CD's to 320 bit
Do you think it’s best to use vbr or cbr. iTunes plus import seems to default to 256 vbr. I hear vbr is best

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Do you think it’s best to use vbr or cbr. iTunes plus import seems to default to 256 vbr. I hear vbr is best

vbr is better, yes.
With a constant bitrate, the specified bitrate will be used to encode the entire track.
With variable bitrate, the specified bitrate is considered more an average. If there's a very complex section in a track, it may get a higher bitrate, while a simpler section of the track gets a lower bitrate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.