Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I'm posting in the iPad forum because ultimately, the data will be used for an iPad. Mods may move as necessary.
I've seen claims in posts on this site, that they had a 'hotspot mobile' and the data was unlimited and 20 dollars a month. I asked which carrier but received no reply. So I'm posing the question to the group here.
Is there any kind of data plan offering a SIM card or built in CDMA at all that is designed for a mobile hotspot that offers truly unlimited data at any price?
I'm in the US. So obviously that is where I would buy.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sprint I believe is the only carrier that I believe offers unlimited data. The other carriers believe that unlimited data is an unsustainable business model.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ok, thanks for that. So isn't sprint tacked on to the verizon network?

No they have their own towers. They use CDMA like verizon, but by the same token ATT and T-Mobile use GSM which doesn't mean they're using the same network.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I'm posting in the iPad forum because ultimately, the data will be used for an iPad. Mods may move as necessary.
I've seen claims in posts on this site, that they had a 'hotspot mobile' and the data was unlimited and 20 dollars a month. I asked which carrier but received no reply. So I'm posing the question to the group here.
Is there any kind of data plan offering a SIM card or built in CDMA at all that is designed for a mobile hotspot that offers truly unlimited data at any price?

If you have grandfathered unlimited Verizon PHONE SIM, than you have TRUE unlimited LTE data.

The beauty of Verizon PHONE unlimited data (LTE) is Verizon CANNOT restrict you from moving your LTE sim from the phone to a mobile hotspot or iPad that has built in hotspot. Verizon does not throttle LTE data. Verizon can throttle CDMA 3G data because that's not in their FCC agreement. But they cannot throttle LTE data. Verizon made the FCC agreement as part of their package to buy spectrum.

The other carriers like ATT and Sprint do not have that agreement. So they can throttle LTE data. And if you try to move a SIM from a phone to a iPad on ATT they will eventually disable your data if you ignore their warnings.

You are free to use your data in ANY LTE Verizon certified device including tablets, mobile hotspots and phones.

What does this mean? It means Verizon's unlimited LTE data is extremely valuable.

For example, I have an add a line to my brother's Verizon acct. It cost me $30 for the data plus $10 for the added line. So it cost me $40 to keep the unlimited data each month. Plus I get a 20% discount on the data.

So really it cost me $24 for data plus $10 for the added line. I don't even use the phone line. I simply leave the LTE sim in my Verizon LTE iPad and use it and turn on hotspot anytime I want.

And if someone offered to buy my unlimited data account for $500, I wouldn't sell it. I wouldn't sell for $1000 either. My 4 year son can blow through 20-30GB of data each month easily. He just blew through 20GB of data in on a vacation alone.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
If you have grandfathered unlimited Verizon PHONE SIM, than you have TRUE unlimited LTE data.

The beauty of Verizon PHONE unlimited data (LTE) is Verizon CANNOT restrict you from moving your LTE sim from the phone to a mobile hotspot or iPad that has built in hotspot. Verizon does not throttle LTE data. Verizon can throttle CDMA 3G data because that's not in their FCC agreement. But they cannot throttle LTE data. Verizon made the FCC agreement as part of their package to buy spectrum.

The other carriers like ATT and Sprint do not have that agreement. So they can throttle LTE data. And if you try to move a SIM from a phone to a iPad on ATT they will eventually disable your data if you ignore their warnings.

You are free to use your data in ANY LTE Verizon certified device including tablets, mobile hotspots and phones.

What does this mean? It means Verizon's unlimited LTE data is extremely valuable.

For example, I have an add a line to my brother's Verizon acct. It cost me $30 for the data plus $10 for the added line. So it cost me $40 to keep the unlimited data each month. Plus I get a 20% discount on the data.

So really it cost me $24 for data plus $10 for the added line. I don't even use the phone line. I simply leave the LTE sim in my Verizon LTE iPad and use it and turn on hotspot anytime I want.

And if someone offered to buy my unlimited data account for $500, I wouldn't sell it. I wouldn't sell for $1000 either. My 4 year son can blow through 20-30GB of data each month easily. He just blew through 20GB of data in on a vacation alone.
I'd gladly buy a new phone from verizon with unlimited data, but they no longer offer that plan.:(
I'm looking to buy now. Maybe I'm your cousin... And you can add me to your plan :p

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I'd gladly buy a new phone from verizon with unlimited data, but they no longer offer that plan.:(
I'm looking to buy now. Maybe I'm your cousin... And you can add me to your plan :p

As far as phone plans go, T-mobile still has true unlimited. I've used 75GB in one month before.

As far as tablet data plans, I believe that T-mobile still has the best deals. Till the end of the year, you can get any plan they offer for $10 off so 5GB is only $30.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Although, I don't need another phone, if the t-mo unlimited data for a phone is LTE, and I can use the sim in an iPad Air, I would be glad to buy in. Do you know if that's the way it works?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Although, I don't need another phone, if the t-mo unlimited data for a phone is LTE, and I can use the sim in an iPad Air, I would be glad to buy in. Do you know if that's the way it works?

It won't work. You will get redirected to create an account on the T-Mobile site. But you can jailbreak your iPhone and then use the phones unlimited data to tether to the iPad. That's how I used 75GB before.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
It won't work. You will get redirected to create an account on the T-Mobile site. But you can jailbreak your iPhone and then use the phones unlimited data to tether to the iPad. That's how I used 75GB before.

Ok, thx. I gotta chew on that a while now....
Does the phone, that I'll be using as a hot spot only, have to be an iPhone? I'll only be using it to tether.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Does the phone, that I'll be using as a hot spot only, have to be an iPhone? I'll only be using it to tether.

I mentioned an iPhone because I have mine jailbroken which then allows me to tether as long as I want. On any other phone, it would not hide the fact that I was tethering and so I would be limited to tether only 3GB per month. There are probably ways to get around this on other phones, but I have no idea what they are.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

Ok, now I've figured it out, it does have to be in the original device.. Still chewing, lol
Thanks for your insight.

Visa Declined

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2014
Sprint's unlimited isn't truly unlimited anymore, the slow you down to a crawl after 5Gb. T-Mobile is the only carrier that you can purchase a true unlimited LTE plan from. I've used 23Gb so far this month.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I absolutely hate that Verizon no longer has unlimited data. They should have let the people with Grandfathered data plans stay with unlimited, I feel like we were cheated out of our unlimited data plans. I'm now determined to move to T-Mobile because of the unlimited data since that's all I really use.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I absolutely hate that Verizon no longer has unlimited data. They should have let the people with Grandfathered data plans stay with unlimited, I feel like we were cheated out of our unlimited data plans. I'm now determined to move to T-Mobile because of the unlimited data since that's all I really use.

I think Verizon still let's users keep unlimited but they gotta pay full price on phones. And no native tethering

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I think Verizon still let's users keep unlimited but they gotta pay full price on phones. And no native tethering

You could pay for a phone full price or....

There is a way around that but you'd have to be on a family plan.

Quicky:
On family plan, have a old flip phone line $10 a month, transfer your iPhone upgrade to your flip phone line, pay $300 for new iPhone. Use iphone for a few, call verizon put flip phone back on, switch out your unlimited sim to your new subsidized iphone.

Basically you are paying $10 a month for the next 2 years for a useless flip phone but you bought a brand new iPhone at a subsidized price. Which comes out to $540 over the span of 2 years but it's better than $800 up front.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Sprint's unlimited isn't truly unlimited anymore, the slow you down to a crawl after 5Gb. T-Mobile is the only carrier that you can purchase a true unlimited LTE plan from. I've used 23Gb so far this month.

That's completely false.

I'm on Sprint. I used 40 GB last month with zero throttling. I've had the same plan for the last six years and never have I ever been throttled. Not once.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
At least for now, I have 3 VZW UL data plans on one legacy family plan. One SIM in my daily driver iPhone 5, another in an iPad 3, and a third I swap between a second iPhone 5 (work) and an iPad Air.

I added the second and third by buying the rights to each line on eBay and used VZW's AOL (assumption of liability), then grouped the lines into the family plan. It doesn't mean anything relative to this thread - I take advantage of the now-defunct F&F for pooled minutes.

One can still buy and AOL one or more lines with UL data. The AOLed lines can be made into an individual "plan" or grouped into a legacy "family plan" within your account. The costs are the cost of the eBay purchase, an activation fee (mine were waived), and a monthly access fee in addition to the $30 cost of the data.

VZW data plans for SIMs used in iPads include Mobile Hotspot at no extra charge. I used mine to watch several shows during the Coachilla Festival, tethering to my rMBP to my Air when I was out of town - it was perfect! When in either of my iPhone 5 handsets I can add UL LTE tethering for $30 - and that's per-diem (or you can get an Android phone and tether at no extra cost).

Never an overage charge. I'd do it again. It's great backup when my home office internet goes down or Comcast opts to beat on Netflix.

I hold onto my iPad 3 because the battery lasts forever and it's built like a tank.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca

I have unlimited data on Verizon with an iPhone 4 from 2011, to earlier this year when I bought an iPhone 4S on eBay and have unlimited data on that now as my primary line. The iPhone has a SIM card while the iPhone4 did not. Will the SIM card I have no on the 4S go into my iPad 3 and I can use the unlimited data on that device?
Or am I missing something here?

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I have unlimited data on Verizon with an iPhone 4 from 2011, to earlier this year when I bought an iPhone 4S on eBay and have unlimited data on that now as my primary line. The iPhone has a SIM card while the iPhone4 did not. Will the SIM card I have no on the 4S go into my iPad 3 and I can use the unlimited data on that device?

It's not really about the SIM card. It's the plan attached to it. You could get a new Verizon sim and transfer your plan to it.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

iPhone 4s SIM card in verizon is only for international gsm 3G networks.

You need to find a friend with a verizon lte phone preferable someone with a micro sim slot (like galaxy S3/4/5).

You need to get lte verizon SIM card. It looks like any other SIM card. But it's for Verizon.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
iPhone 4s SIM card in verizon is only for international gsm 3G networks.

You need to find a friend with a verizon lte phone preferable someone with a micro sim slot (like galaxy S3/4/5).

You need to get lte verizon SIM card. It looks like any other SIM card. But it's for Verizon.

So, I'll be with this 4S till the iPhone 6 comes out in a few months. At that time, when I buy the iPhone 6 outright (so as to keep my unlimited verizon data plan) will I then be able to pop that iPhone 6 LTE Micro SIM into my LTE iPad for unlimited data without encountering any throttling or contract breach issues?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
So, I'll be with this 4S till the iPhone 6 comes out in a few months. At that time, when I buy the iPhone 6 outright (so as to keep my unlimited verizon data plan) will I then be able to pop that iPhone 6 LTE Micro SIM into my LTE iPad for unlimited data without encountering any throttling or contract breach issues?

Yes. If you buy full price. You will have no issues using micro sim on iPad 3. Honestly you can turn iPad into its own hot spot and if can replace your home internet if you want.

The only thing is iPad 5/5s/6 use nano sim. So if you have iPad 3 which uses microsim. U will need nano sim to micro sim adapter. U can get that cheap on eBay.

The verizon unlimited data is that good.

Of note. There are ways to keep unlimited data and still get subsidize upgrades. I got iPhone 5s 32gb for $299 on contract using one of the loopholes.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/227608-instruction-how-keep-unlimited-data-verizon-64.html

Even if you have single like account you can even use the best buy dot com loophole as well.

lynyrd65

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
As far as phone plans go, T-mobile still has true unlimited. I've used 75GB in one month before.

As far as tablet data plans, I believe that T-mobile still has the best deals. Till the end of the year, you can get any plan they offer for $10 off so 5GB is only $30.

I put a tmobile phone sim with unlimited data in my ipad. It worked, I don't know if it would work for long or not but I was able to run speed tests and stream video.

I'm also someone who has grandfathered Verizon unlimited data. I switch sims between my iphone and my ipad all the time. It's great for streaming cable tv to my ipad so I don't have to miss football and basketball games.

lynyrd65

macrumors member
May 21, 2011

The grandfathered Verizon Unlimited data plans can be used with iPads. Get the 300minute voice plan with unlimited data and activate a sim on an iphone then swap it to your ipad. It will cost you $65 a month before tax

T-Mobile unlimited can also be used on an ipad but that could change at any time.

Tmobile does officially offer tablet data plans that are unlimited but throttled after a certain amount of usage. Because of T-Mobile's un carrier moves, music streaming doesn't count toward your high speed alottment.

They also have a deal where if you have a phone account with them you can add a tablet data plan like I described above for $10. That tablet plan has the same high speed alottment as your phone data plan, (except for unlimited high speed, in which case your added tablet data is 5gig), effectively doubling your high speed alottment.

Once again though, music streaming does not count toward your alottment for tmo, which makes their plan effectively unlimited for many people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.