Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Hi Guys,

Correct me if I am wrong but just like on the iPad if you wanna do an Ear Fit Test when you wear the AirPods Pro. Do you have any such similar thing on the MacOS ? I mean the Mac Mini ?

EllaWilson3

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2024
Up until now, Mac computers, including Mac Mini, don't have the Ear Fit Test for AirPods Pro that iPhones and iPads do. This test helps you make sure the ear tips of your AirPods Pro fit well, giving you better sound and noise cancellation. But, if you have an iPhone or iPad, you can easily do the Ear Fit Test on those devices. Doing the test helps you get the best sound from your AirPods Pro, even when you connect them to your Mac or any other device.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Up until now, Mac computers, including Mac Mini, don't have the Ear Fit Test for AirPods Pro that iPhones and iPads do. This test helps you make sure the ear tips of your AirPods Pro fit well, giving you better sound and noise cancellation. But, if you have an iPhone or iPad, you can easily do the Ear Fit Test on those devices. Doing the test helps you get the best sound from your AirPods Pro, even when you connect them to your Mac or any other device.

So if I do the fit test on the iPad and want to use the Airpods Pro-2 on an Mac that won't work right ? The fit results of the iPad Pro stand invalid on the Mac ? is it ?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
fit test just tests how well sealed the tips are in your ear. It's about the physical seal between the airpod tip and your ear canal. Not really anything to do with how audio is produced. so doesn't matter where the audio is coming from. And it doesn't adjust any settings or configurations in the background.

You typically only need to run it when you've just purchased them (and are figuring out which tip to use), or changed out the tips. You don't even have to run it if you don't want. And after a little bit of time getting used to the AirPods, you probably won't even need it. you'll be able to tell it's not sounding right.

on the pros, a tight fit gets you 2 things. First, it helps a little bit to block outside noise from coming into your ear. And second (and the more important thing) the small drivers that are in the AirPods aren't able to move that much air. Which is fine if they're only pushing against the limited amount of air that's sealed inside your ear by the tips. Since there's no where for that air pressure to go except to your ear drum. If however you don't have a tight seal, it allows that sound pressure to escape instead of going to your ear drum. That can lead to audio that sounds thin and lacks bass.

Reactions: Sirious

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
fit test just tests how well sealed the tips are in your ear. It's about the physical seal between the airpod tip and your ear canal. Not really anything to do with how audio is produced. so doesn't matter where the audio is coming from. And it doesn't adjust any settings or configurations in the background.

You typically only need to run it when you've just purchased them (and are figuring out which tip to use), or changed out the tips. You don't even have to run it if you don't want. And after a little bit of time getting used to the AirPods, you probably won't even need it. you'll be able to tell it's not sounding right.

on the pros, a tight fit gets you 2 things. First, it helps a little bit to block outside noise from coming into your ear. And second (and the more important thing) the small drivers that are in the AirPods aren't able to move that much air. Which is fine if they're only pushing against the limited amount of air that's sealed inside your ear by the tips. Since there's no where for that air pressure to go except to your ear drum. If however you don't have a tight seal, it allows that sound pressure to escape instead of going to your ear drum. That can lead to audio that sounds thin and lacks bass.

Great Post ! So let's say if I am juggling the Airpods between My iPad Pro and my Mac Mini do you reckon i do not need to run the ear fit test everytime? But what if I want to have the best sound experience without any background noise leaking in. I should not run it ? I do it everytime to check if i have got the best Seal and if there is any background noise leaking in?

wilderkun

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2007
Around
Great Post ! So let's say if I am juggling the Airpods between My iPad Pro and my Mac Mini do you reckon i do not need to run the ear fit test everytime? But what if I want to have the best sound experience without any background noise leaking in. I should not run it ? I do it everytime to check if i have got the best Seal and if there is any background noise leaking in?
The fit test only helps you find which size tip fits best on the APP. You only need to perform that once during setup. I think you're thinking of the personalized audio test / audiogram. With that, the setting is saved to AP, and is always what is used, independent of what machine your using at moment.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
The fit test only helps you find which size tip fits best on the APP. You only need to perform that once during setup. I think you're thinking of the personalized audio test / audiogram. With that, the setting is saved to AP, and is always what is used, independent of what machine your using at moment.

But isn't the Ear Fit Test also to check if any sound is leaking when you wear the Airpods Pro and that is something you have to test everytime you remove and wear the Airpods Pro back ?

wilderkun

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2007
Around
But isn't the Ear Fit Test also to check if any sound is leaking when you wear the Airpods Pro and that is something you have to test everytime you remove and wear the Airpods Pro back ?
No. The point of the ear fit test is to make sure they fit correctly. When you get the airpods you three tips, it's for helping determine which one fits the best. You only need to do when you first get them, and the next pair you get, you should be able to put on the right tips that fit you on the previous ones without doing it again.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
No. The point of the ear fit test is to make sure they fit correctly. When you get the airpods you three tips, it's for helping determine which one fits the best. You only need to do when you first get them, and the next pair you get, you should be able to put on the right tips that fit you on the previous ones without doing it again.

Are you sure about this? The reason why I ask this again is, because when I had the first generation Airpods Pro and I used to not wear it properly, meaning if the fit was not right with the Airpods, the ear fit test would fail but when I used to adjust it, the ear fit test would pass. So what would you say about that?

Last edited:

wilderkun

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2007
Around
Are you sure about this? The reason why I ask this again is, because when I had the first generation Airpods Pro and I used to not wear it properly, meaning if the fit was not right with the Airpods, the ear fit test would fail but when I used to adjust it, the ear fit test would possess. So what would you say about that?

The ear fit test is only to find the right tips. If you fall the test, you need to size up or down the tips. There's plenty of information online and there's the apple support forums that you can ask a question to, and they'll agree.
start here
Try going into the accessibility settings to do custom sound profile if something doesn't sound right. But you only need to do this one time

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
The ear fit test is only to find the right tips. If you fall the test, you need to size up or down the tips. There's plenty of information online and there's the apple support forums that you can ask a question to, and they'll agree.
start here
Try going into the accessibility settings to do custom sound profile if something doesn't sound right. But you only need to do this one time

That article that you have posted does not anywhere mention that Only do the Ear Fit Test the first time when you are using or changing of replacing the Ear Tips and not after that. for a Sound check. I am not saying you are wrong, but that's what the article says so nothing in specific when to do the Ear Fit Test.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I do an ear fit test everytime I wear them, but not the one from apple. If it doesn't sound right to my ears, then I just readjust the fit, till it does.

once you're used to how it's supposed to sound, you don't really need apple's test.

Reactions: GeneticBloom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.