Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hi. I was given an iPone SE 2016 32g with 96% battery life in more than mint condition. To my eye, it's brand new. No bumps, no scratches, not a single sign of wear and tear. It came with iOS 14.01. BTW, it's running fine and there's no law whatsoever. Here's the thing: I cannot see if the screen has a protector of any kind. What I can see are cut outs for the mic and Touch ID button. If there is a screen protector, it has been so perfectly installed, it's a professional job maybe in an Apple Store. The previous owner says he didn't install a protector. Question: does Apple install kind of a screen protector on its phones? Should I seen on a SE cutouts for the mic and Touch ID button. Again, the "protector" is so perfectly aligned with the body that I don't know what to do?
Thanks for the hints
SE screen.jpg
SE screen.jpg

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The previous owner could have used a screen protector (which could be why it looks new) but screen protectors always have an edge that you can grab with a fingernail. Also screen protectors almost never look like brand new screens because they're softer than the iPhone glass and scratch easier

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
IMEI says it was built on March 2018. Yes, I've never seen a used phone in such pristine state. What makes me say it has a screen protector is the fact that I can see cut outs along the mic area. But maybe all iPhones are the same and I never noticed before. I may ask the question this way though: does Apple place a layer of plastic material over the screen?

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
The previous owner could have used a screen protector (which could be why it looks new) but screen protectors always have an edge that you can grab with a fingernail. Also screen protectors almost never look like brand new screens because they're softer than the iPhone glass and scratch easier
The screen of this SE has absolutely no scratches. It's mirror like as when you buy a brand new phone. Fingernail...interesting. I tried to do a gentle removal gesture and couldn't grab anything. Attach a phot of the phone with the reflection of neon bulb. One can clearly see the cut outs around the mic area.

Attachments

• SE_full.jpeg
    SE_full.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The screen of this SE has absolutely no scratches.
Maybe the previous owner uses an Otterbox Defender case, or something similar.

My wife has a happen of breaking screens, so when the SE1 came out, I got her one and a Otterbox Defender case and put it on the SE1 as soon as I took it out of the box.

The case had a built in screen protector, and not like the usual kind, as it covered everything including the cameras, and a flexible part for the Touch ID. IIRC, the only part exposed was the speaker hole.

After her battery capacity dropped to 82% on her SE1, I gave her a clearance SE1 I picked up when Apple reduce the price, one that I was keeping as a back up to mine and my wife's SE1. I got a new Defender case to go with her new SE1.

I had to take her old Defender case off to get to her SIM card, and the phone was a little dusty, but other wise perfect. After wiping it down, her old SE1 looked the same is when I bought it.

I personally hate cases and won't use them, but I was very impressed by the condition of my wife's old phone after taking it out of the Defender case. Especially since she is so careless with her phone and drops it like crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.