Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Just upgraded to an 11 Pro Max from an iPhone 7 on iOS 13. Seems like this is an iOS 14 bug?

The notification sits on my lock screen but the phone never lights up or vibrates unless I turn bluetooth off.

I only have a MacBook and iPad -- no Apple Watch. And the only bluetooth device I'm connected to is my AirPods.

carcarano

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2020
Most likely this is because the AirPods do make a ringtone, so your iPhone may think that you know that you just got a notification. As far as I know, the AirPods don’t vibrate, (although that would be cool), so you may need to keep them disconnected. Could you please tell me which version of iOS 14 you are running? Thanks!

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Most likely this is because the AirPods do make a ringtone, so your iPhone may think that you know that you just got a notification. As far as I know, the AirPods don’t vibrate, (although that would be cool), so you may need to keep them disconnected. Could you please tell me which version of iOS 14 you are running? Thanks!
Thanks for the reply! This is interesting perspective. However, my AirPods do say "Not Connected" even when this is happening, so it could be an iOS glitch. I'm currently running 14.4.2

EDIT: As a test, I had my iPhone "Forget" my AirPods, so I effectively had no devices under Bluetooth and I STILL did not receive an alert

Last edited:

carcarano

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2020
Interesting
Sorry for late reply.
I think maybe try looking in your notification settings in the settings app?
Or let me know if you fixed it already!

Thanks!

carcarano

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2020
Oh! A reason may also be if you have badges disabled. The messages will go to the notification center but won't ring or light up the screen. I also have LED flash for alerts enabled. Maybe now with iOS 16.0.2 it is fixed.
Sorry for the late reyply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.