Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumbeblonde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2015
My iMac died and the tech tells me (after 2 weeks, mind you) that it's not the capacitors or power supply but the motherboard. So I asked him to transfer all data from the hard drive to a portable. But he only transferred the docs and Library file - no preferences, apps, hidden files.

I'm having doubts about his ability to do this (for which he's charging $100).

Can someone advise the best way to recover the data?
Can the drive be removed and used as an external drive? If so, what do I need to do this?

Side Issue:
I've also encountered the 1st problem - my address book isn't recognised by the loaner macbook running 10.8.5. I've posted about this separately and am sure there'll be other issues migrating old apps. Where should I post for help on that in future?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If the hard drive is OK you can put it in an external dock, housing or connect it to a USB to SATA cable. You can use Migration Assistant to transfer to a new computer but moving from 10.6.8 to later versions of the OS will bring up a few issues, mostly with 3rd party applications. Native Mac apps and their associated data should transition pretty smoothly.

If you do this be prepared for the time it will take.

dumbeblonde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2015
If the hard drive is OK you can put it in an external dock, housing or connect it to a USB to SATA cable. You can use Migration Assistant to transfer to a new computer but moving from 10.6.8 to later versions of the OS will bring up a few issues, mostly with 3rd party applications. Native Mac apps and their associated data should transition pretty smoothly.

If you do this be prepared for the time it will take.
Thanks Brian, partic for the cable info. I've made an appt with the Apple Genius Bar rep in 3 days time, just for confirmation of the power issue. I know the drive is OK as the repairer did copy some files.

The reason I chose not to upgrade was that I have several 3rd party apps that I use a lot, which wouldn't run on later OS. I have a pretty up-to-date MacBookPro to use for "current" stuff.

Furthermore, I'm pretty annoyed with Apple's latest iMac - no mid range size screen, and I've read one cannot upgrade hardware post purchase. But that's another issue. Thanks again - and I've plenty of time. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.