Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I'm looking for a good Warcraft 2/3 like alternative to play and download from the official App Store. I want to pay once so don't want to play a version where you have loads of in-app purchases for 'gems' and all. I would really like to see a good app on the official iOS App Store though and pay e.g. 10 euro/dollar for it (once) instead of all of those awfull in-app purchase games (like Heroes of War: Orcs vs Knights, The Lord of Orcs, War Storm, Horde - Age of Orcs and Esenthel RTS).

The only options I could find are either removed from the App Store (Rise Of Lost Empires by Gameloft) or is limited in functionality. The best one I could find is OrcWar by Menfou/cedric larouziere/LowcostApp/Zugsoft.com but it hasn't been updated on iOS in ages (Nov. '15) and lacks quite a few things but it comes close though to the Warcraft II/III like experience (see video).

They do indicate on their Facebook page that Humans are in the works aside of Orcs but it seems they regularly update their Android app (last update Jan. '17) and also have released an Windows version last year as well.

I would love to see some more features being added to a future version. I would also love to pay for the game once e.g. 10 euro to get more features and remove the annoying ad.

Pros:
- UI is really nice
- sounds are really like Warcraft Orcs would soon like

Feature wishes:
- remove annoying ads with one time only payment (solution now is turn wifi off on iDevice otherwise you would see a banner during gameplay and a huge video ad during some part of app startup)
- mini map missing
- more levels
- option to have air/water vehicles/creatures
- humans aside of orcs

OrcWar screenshot
screen-0=x800.jpg

There is also 'Age of Dominion RTS: Command your Empire!' by Jason Scott (last updated Jan. '17) but it also has annoying ads instead of a way to buy the app once and remove those.
Unfortunately the look and feel is a bit less like Warcraft though.

Pros:

- lots of building
- lots of settings

Cons:
- annoying ads in app, please ask one time only fee instead of ads!
- music and sounds are definitely not like Warcraft and tend to be really repetitive.
- UI isn't as great and it's less like Warcraft building and human/orc like

yw9dqiUKHBXyhlHTr8TddAuDwTKZifn7cuXNifmOl3iUpWLRJl1rGIN-mG7QVe526w=h900

On Android there is Rusted Warfare and also OrcWars last updated January 2017 and there is an unofficial way to play with Stratagus Android app.

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I found a game called Viking Village the other day (paid version - Premium 2,99 dollar once or - free with ads and with in-app version) by Limitless Fun. I love this game and really gives me the Warcraft II/III feel and has a lot to offer. The app is free, however has big video ads, however to get rid of ads you can buy e.g. the Wizard for 3.99 euro (once) as an in-app purchase. Any in-app are optional and not needed, no gems or anything.

The game has a lot to offer such as:
- various game modes including village vs village (classic RTS)
- build buildings, train warriors/villagers
- fight against enemies
- 3D view from one of the characters/warriors
- offline mode

It could still improve on:
⁃ Save multiple games in the various game modes
- lacks multiplayer option
- iCloud sync option to continue where you left off on another iDevice
- some minor bugs: leaderboard was empty for me, restore purchases didn't work in the Settings after I bought the Wizard on my iPhone. I could buy it again on iPad and then it said I already bought it so problem solved but fix would be nice
- Show the game mode list below each other on iPad or maybe show arrows left and right that there are more game modes
⁃ Show what area I'm seeing in the main screen by selecting this area in the map view ⁃ When you zoom out on the main screen with two fingers to be able to see the complete map/area to see everything
⁃ When the units are walking don't have walking sound. It now sometimes looks like there is a fight going on.
⁃ Let the user decide where to put buildings
⁃ Let a villager build buildings and hear a sound when they are building and let it last for a certain time instead of instant
⁃ Training a unit takes a short while instead of instant
⁃ Add sounds when you select warriors like Warcraft II/III had
⁃ Sounds when a tree has collapsed/food field or stone mine is empty
⁃ Have certain units patrol certain areas (you can do that per unit)
⁃ Add build option for: fence/wall
- Add water and air vehicles and buildings (shipyard)
⁃ Sound when the village or warriors are under attack to hear once 'we are under attack'
⁃ Option to upgrade buildings and that this has effect on eg the warriors that you train to be stronger. I saw that this was mentioned in the Android/Google Play version so I suppose this might be coming to iOS as well soon?
⁃ Restore buildings when they have been attacked and show smoke/fire when highly damaged
⁃ Heal units that have been hurt during an attack
⁃ Option to select some warriors instead of one or all

Viking_Village.png

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I am a big fan of wc3 nowadays since day one, but there’s nothing for iOS :-(

I'm afraid we will never see an official Warcraft II/III game on iOS from Blizzard. A lot of people also say that RTS games aren't suitable for tablets without a keyboard/mouse. Although nowadays there are a lot of people out there which only own an iPad and have a separate keyboard connect to it.

The mentioned games Orcwar (hasn't been updated in years and limited in it's options) and Viking Village which are both in the App Store come closest to the Warcraft II/III games and the true RTS. But neither of them come close to the original. I only recenly discovered the Viking Village game and I really like it.

Other options on iOS are:
- Majesty: the fantasy kingdom sim (has been updated a few months ago to 64bit)
- Autumn Dynasty Warlords (I think this one only works on iOS10 and below due to the fact it is 32bit)
- Age of Dominion
- Esenthel RTS

As far as Command & Conquer kind of games there are other great options out there on iOS. See also a list of those on my blog post from 2016.

CryBloodwing

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2018
Indianapolis, IN
So I know this post is from a long time ago, but if you still love RTS, there are so many amazing ones now.

These are a few that I have seen on the app store and are apparently good. I personally do not play RTS games however.

1. Autumn Dynasty Warlords
-4.5/5 Stars by 265 people
-Sadly it will not be available on iOS 11 an above, however because of that, it is 70% off
-Cost: 1.99

2. Amoebattle
-This one is interesting because you use amoebas in the microscopic world fighting an infection. It is very colorful also. Controls are also easy.
-4.5/5 Stars by 147 people
-Cost: 2.99

3. Land Air Sea Warfare
-Sadly this does not have much of a plot, but you can adjust the AI difficulty. Every new map is random. Sadly no multiplayer. People say it reminds them of Command and Conquer Red Alert 3.
-4.5/5 by 84 people
-Cost: 1.99

4. Line of Defense: Tactics
-Squad based RTS in a sci-fi world. Stealth is also an option to sneak up for a surprise attack. :)
-3.5/5 by 18 people
-Many people complain about how you have to pay for more campaign chapters. Around 20 chapters to pay for according to some people. I think it is only $4 for the full campaign though? Also some say controls are bad, some say you just have to get used to them.
-Cost: Free

5. Total War Battles: Shogun, and other Total War Battles Games
-In a way it has puzzle like features. Try different layouts to defend the base. Animation and visuals are apparently amazing.
-TWB: Kingdom is an editor's choice right now, 4.5/5 by 1,250
-TWB: Shogun is 4.5/5 by 28
-Cost: 4.99

6. Warlords RTS
-Fantasy world with magic, rangers, warriors, huntresses. There is an inventory system. Cool visuals.
-4.5/5 by 7

7. Alien Tribe 2
-Open world sandbox+tower defense with 4X RTS. Hunt for materials, build weapons, research new technology, battle enemies in space. Over 40 mission in random gen areas.
-4.5/5 by 327
-Cost: 3.99

8. Red Sun RTS
-Basically a normal RTS
-4.5/5 by 28

9. Dawn of Titans
-Currently an Editor's Choice. It is like Total War but giants can fight with the human troops
-4.5/5 by 8,806

10. Plague Inc
-Not 100% like an RTS, but very similar and amazing. Currently an Editor's Choice
-You are basically trying to end humans with a deadly pathogen. Spread it around the world while humanity defends
-5/5 by 15,957
-Cost: 0.99

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
So I know this post is from a long time ago, but if you still love RTS, there are so many amazing ones now.

These are a few that I have seen on the app store and are apparently good. I personally do not play RTS games however.

I recently added another game which is why I responded to my original post from a year ago so no reason to apologies if that is what you were saying.

Thanks for sharing those apps.

Most apps tend to be like Command & Conquer. If the apps are in fact more like Warcraft then they tend to have loads of in-app purchases. A lot of those apps you suggested I've tried but I will definitely try out a few.

I will definitely give Warlords RTS another try but not sure if it still works due to the fact the last update was in 2014 and it has quite a lot of in-app purchases and one of the reviews kind of scared me off.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I gave Warlords a try but don't like the fact that you can't start building building, harvest wood, mine gold from the start. Is that an option later in the game or is it simply not part of this app?

A lot of people are fan of the below game by looking into the recent reviews on e.g. TouchArcade (or forum)(formerly known as 'Super Tribes', PocketGamer (1,2):
These I also found on Reddit as mentioned:
C&C like games I found are:

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Besides the fact that Viking Village also launched a Premium (2.99 dollar once) version of their app in the App Store.

Recently a game called 'Cartoon Craft' was added to the App Store (and Google Play). The developer told in a TouchArcade post that his game is a Warcraft II like game with a cartoon twist to it. Is it perfect? Nope but it sure is a lot of fun. The developer has already implemented quite some feedback myself and other players have suggested. Unfortunately I have read that some of my suggested features probably won't be implemented due to costs/time involved. I did already suggest the developer to setup a Patreon page so I can support him besides the on-off 1,99 dollar because the game doesn't have ads or in-app purchases.

Suggestions of features to add/fix to make the game even better:
- See costs of units/buildings (gold/lumber) when selected now you can only see it when there isn't enough gold/lumber
- Bug: When you lost all workers in level 2 due to attack you don't see game lost. There isn't enough money to train new workers.
- Show mission in menu instead of on screen all the time
- Upgrade buildings option eg watch tower
- iCloud sync to continue playing on various iDevices
- Option to Heal units
- Option to Repair buildings
- Choose Humans or Orcs
- Add option to skip how to
-Reduce the size of the explanation text box what to do. There is so much white margin above and below it.
- Add sounds when you select a unit like in Warcraft II
- Lack of Orcs buildings
- Multiplayer vs friend or stranger
- More gold mines on each mission map
- Water and build harbor, ships
- Chop Wood in the same area as before instead of anywhere else
- Link in app store is broken instead link to 1506games dot com also good to mention Twitter and email for feedback and support.

n61Z5o.jpg

nikibelufski

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2019
Well, I am here one year later but I noticed none of you recommended my favorite mobile rts so I am posting this. A couple years ago, I did the exact same research about a wc3 like game and the best one I found is warfare incorporated. It doesn’t have many races or such, and it sadly doesn’t have custom games(just building and fighting, no missions). In it you explore a planet and fight other companies. The game is free and last I checked no ads, it is rarely updated, but they update it for new iOS and bug fixes so that’s good. The way you play is a lot like wc3 and (army control, ressources, buildings) You should try. Once you finish the campaign, you can do missions made by the community. Hope you are still interested.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Well, I am here one year later but I noticed none of you recommended my favorite mobile rts so I am posting this. A couple years ago, I did the exact same research about a wc3 like game and the best one I found is warfare incorporated. It doesn’t have many races or such, and it sadly doesn’t have custom games(just building and fighting, no missions). In it you explore a planet and fight other companies. The game is free and last I checked no ads, it is rarely updated, but they update it for new iOS and bug fixes so that’s good. The way you play is a lot like wc3 and (army control, ressources, buildings) You should try. Once you finish the campaign, you can do missions made by the community. Hope you are still interested.

Thanks for your suggestion. Warfare Incorpared I've installed as well and love it as well. I've mentioned it earlier in my blog post as well. It's however a bit more like C&C then WCII in my opinion but I do love C&C kind of games as well.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Topic kick. I updated my personal blog with some other RTS games I found on iOS such as:
* The Bonfire: Forsaken Lands
* Blocky Story: War Craft
* Red Reign (only on Apple Arcade and very limited in building options and map is very small and control of warriors.

Also we can soon expect (in Q1, 2020) The Bonfire 2: Uncharted Shores which I'm very much looking forward to. The videos on social media and YouTube look amazing. Again premium app with no ads or in-app purchases.

I also understood from the developers of the existing game Viking Village that they might bring out an update in a couple of months time and that they might release Viking Village 2 in the near future.

Also the premium app developer Game Dev Team is thinking of creating an RTS game in fantasy/medieval setting which would also be amazing. Since the combi of MechCom RTS (C&C like) with Heroes in RTS setting would be amazing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.