Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THEM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
I'm looking for some hints/tips/guide to "docking" my MBP. I would like to have it usually connected to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.... with the lid closed. And use it out and about a few times a week.

Are there any guides for what setup would work best... what to avoid etc?

Been looking all over and can't find anything.

Thanks.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I'm looking for some hints/tips/guide to "docking" my MBP. I would like to have it usually connected to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.... with the lid closed. And use it out and about a few times a week.

Are there any guides for what setup would work best... what to avoid etc?

Been looking all over and can't find anything.

Thanks.

What I have done is this:

- daisy chained 3 4-port powered USB Hubs (going to need a 4th soon) so I only need one USB plugged into the MBP
- speakers plugged into the audio out (looking into an airport express for airtunes)
- HDTV connected via DIV-I to HDMI cable
- Wireless Apple keyboard (wish the new one was full size...may get the wired one cause it types better for me)
- BT Mighty Mouse
- magsafe

With this setup I can disconnect my MBP and have it in my bag w/magsafe and BT MM in under a minute. It takes another minute to set back up.

I think that what I have is as close to a dock I will get without an official Apple one.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
What I used to do was similar

2 USB Ports, one daisy chained off the other (Printer, external burner, wireless mouse, external hard drive, other external hard drive, ipod dock)
Speaker cable
Power Cable

And a MiniDVI- VGA adapter for when i hooked up my CRT (rarely ever did).

I am a little different since I never used the laptop in closed mode, but close enough to it.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
I was thinking of doing the same but assumed that you could get a monitor with USB ports and plug the mouse and keyboard into that. Would that not work once the monitor is connected to the MPB?

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I was thinking of doing the same but assumed that you could get a monitor with USB ports and plug the mouse and keyboard into that. Would that not work once the monitor is connected to the MPB?

Yes, so long as you plug the Monitor's USB connector in. It cannot magically take the DVI signal, and turn it partially into USB so you can connect your devices to it, as cool as that would be (one cable to rule them all!) it doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.