Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I'll just throw in my 2 cents...

I like the new scrollbars. The old ones were massive and huge wastes of screen space. Admittedly, they ARE less functional.

Now, what really sucks? If you have a Finder window open in column view and you try to select the last file in a list? Oh, look, the stupid scrollbar came up instead and makes it near impossible to select the file.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Like Mail. The arrow buttons would move by one thread. Without them, you pass over threads at the edge of the page.

You cannot click for a "page move" when the slider is near the top or bottom, and with the slider you overshoot massively.

Ahhh I see… I guess that makes sense ;)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
You cannot click for a "page move" when the slider is near the top or bottom, and with the slider you overshoot massively.

Hold down the option/alt modifier key, then click and drag the slider. It will be in a "fine adjust" mode as long as option/alt is held down.

Release the slider and the content will remain in the fine position it was at when released.

Release option/alt modifier key while mouse is down, and slider dragging and scroll position will revert to "coarse" mode.

I use this regularly when examining large files in Hex Fiend. It lets me roughly position using the slider in "coarse" mode, then I hold down option/alt and it switches to "fine" mode. I use a trackball that lacks a scroll wheel, so if I'm hopping around a large file, I have one hand on trackball and the other on option/alt key.

FWIW, the option/alt modifier key as "fine scroll" is present at least as far back as 10.4 Tiger. It may exist before that, but it's not easy for me to check it.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Hold down the option/alt modifier key, then click and drag the slider. It will be in a "fine adjust" mode as long as option/alt is held down.

Release the slider and the content will remain in the fine position it was at when released.

Release option/alt modifier key while mouse is down, and slider dragging and scroll position will revert to "coarse" mode.

I use this regularly when examining large files in Hex Fiend. It lets me roughly position using the slider in "coarse" mode, then I hold down option/alt and it switches to "fine" mode. I use a trackball that lacks a scroll wheel, so if I'm hopping around a large file, I have one hand on trackball and the other on option/alt key.

FWIW, the option/alt modifier key as "fine scroll" is present at least as far back as 10.4 Tiger. It may exist before that, but it's not easy for me to check it.

Thanks. Although it seems it's easier to use the scrollwheel than that trick.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Thanks. Although it seems it's easier to use the scrollwheel than that trick.

It would be, if my trackball had one:
I use a trackball that lacks a scroll wheel, so if I'm hopping around a large file, I have one hand on trackball and the other on option/alt key.

It also works with a graphics tablet, which I also use. And it lacks a scroll wheel, too.

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
I want aqua scrolls back... and the arrow buttons... not this flat looking croc of ***** that is Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.