Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TD540

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2017
Is there a limit as to how many times you can use Hide My Email? Because it seems to me some day Apple's just gonna run out of random addresses...

Thanks,
T

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Is there a limit as to how many times you can use Hide My Email? Because it seems to me some day Apple's just gonna run out of random addresses...

Thanks,
T
I am sure that there is some practical limit, but if the email address is 8 characters, adding a 9th character would add a minimum of 36 x the number of current email addresses in the pool, assuming that the extra character is a number (0-1) or alpha (a-z)... if you use upper and lower case, that increases the number of addressees by 82 x...

82 to the 10th power = 13.7 QUINTILLION emails addresses.

I'd say it's nothing to be overly concerned about.

Last edited:

TD540

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2017
In other words there’s NO limit and I can just continue switching ALL website’s where I’ve ever created an account to a Hide-My-Email-address? Because that’s what I’d like to do. It’s cool cause that’d also expose websites who leak my address to 3rd parties without my knowin’…

MickG

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Santa Barbara, CA
I think the service is a great idea, but I can't tell you how many times it fails for me.

It generates a new email address and then gives me the error that, "A Hide My Email Address could not be created for Somebody <SoAndSo@gmail.com>. Do you want to send it anyway?"

Or it works, and then you get a reply, but cannot reply to the reply? You can't even remove the address you're replying to. It's greyed out. You have open a new email and copy and paste everything over (the exact same info) and then it works, but c'mon, Apple. Drop some AppleCash on the Mail.app?

Attachments

• Hide My Email address Failure.png
    Hide My Email address Failure.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Rydawg96

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2018
I think the service is a great idea, but I can't tell you how many times it fails for me.

It generates a new email address and then gives me the error that, "A Hide My Email Address could not be created for Somebody <SoAndSo@gmail.com>. Do you want to send it anyway?"

Or it works, and then you get a reply, but cannot reply to the reply? You can't even remove the address you're replying to. It's greyed out. You have open a new email and copy and paste everything over (the exact same info) and then it works, but c'mon, Apple. Drop some AppleCash on the Mail.app?
I literally just had this message pop up today. Not the first error message I had with Hide my Email but its the first of this kind.

Attachments

• 26C8CBBE-5F45-4B1A-80B3-E16A66D1E9D8_1_201_a.jpeg
    26C8CBBE-5F45-4B1A-80B3-E16A66D1E9D8_1_201_a.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: MickG

MickG

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Santa Barbara, CA
I literally just had this message pop up today. Not the first error message I had with Hide my Email but its the first of this kind.
Right? This is such a good idea and some huge bug in implementation. I'm running 12.4 on all modern hardware, clean Install OS etc....

And don't get me started on the whole "blocked email" filtering "function" that Apple keeps saying exists. It still will not send anything to the trash. Never.

I want Apple to either block entire domains I send them and bounce them back to sender (like I can do on the domains I own) or give me access to do the same. Apple's Spam filtering has really fallen in the past 3-5 years for my Mac.com addresses.

Mick

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 10.25.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 10.25.52 PM.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 91

Rydawg96

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2018
Right? This is such a good idea and some huge bug in implementation. I'm running 12.4 on all modern hardware, clean Install OS etc....

And don't get me started on the whole "blocked email" filtering "function" that Apple keeps saying exists. It still will not send anything to the trash. Never.

I want Apple to either block entire domains I send them and bounce them back to sender (like I can do on the domains I own) or give me access to do the same. Apple's Spam filtering has really fallen in the past 3-5 years for my Mac.com addresses.

Mick
Not to mention I’m trying to create a new personal alias address in my iCloud account for a new group I’m running and it’s now saying I can’t create one despite only currently using one of my 3 available aliases.

• Angry
Reactions: MickG

MickG

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Santa Barbara, CA
Not to mention I’m trying to create a new personal alias address in my iCloud account for a new group I’m running and it’s now saying I can’t create one despite only currently using one of my 3 available aliases.
Gotta be a bug. If you're courageous, you could sit on the phone with Apple and report back?

I just feel like this is sealed container stuff we can't fix because they don't give us access.

MickG

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Santa Barbara, CA
and lest you wonder, as I often do when nothing seems to be working, there are no "service outages" at this time.

there are never service outages on Apple's site when I have service outages....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 10.43.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 10.43.33 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 127

Rydawg96

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2018
update: I can now confirm that there is a limit of 750 addresses for Hide my Email.

xsetiadi

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2023
update: I can now confirm that there is a limit of 750 addresses for Hide my Email.
what icloud+ subscription are you now? the 50 GB or the other. maybe if we pay the 200 GB version the limit will increase from 750 emails to maybe 1000 or more

klepp0906

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
I have the 2TB plan
whelp, thats unfortunate. I was becoming more and more motivated to make the leap. my wife gave my email to the local hospital. naturally they just had a breach. only a matter of time before the scum of the earth begin doing what they do.

i have 822 logins it looks like, and with any luck i have some decades left on this rock. sooooooo a limit is going to pose a conundrum.

having never used it, or even entertained it until now... are these addresses all automagically generated? editable? able to be labeled? even though id rather not, it would at least afford me a way around a cap of 750.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.