Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budhardy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
DC
My MacBook cord is turning yellow, I know it's from the bootcamp side and me playing games on steam. Is there a stronger cord that can hold more heat or energy than the standard cord that comes in the box?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Which MacBook do you have? is it one of the later MacBooks without any internal fan?

Which adapter cord? The one that plugs in to your MacBook? Or the power cord (extension cord) that you might use from the adapter to your power strip/wall receptacle? Or, do you still use the "folding blade" that plugs the adapter directly into the wall socket (no extension cord)

If your power adapter (not the cords, but the device) is too hot to touch, and that is for your normal use, then you could replace that with an adapter with a higher power rating. "COULD" replace does not mean that is your best choice. The internal power circuitry is designed for a normal power level, to charge the battery, along with providing power to the system. If you have consistent very-high power draw, then it's likely that your MacBook is ALSO getting quite hot.
I think it would be a better experience if you try to control the internal temps in your MacBook. There's a variety of devices sold as "Laptop coolers", mostly fans, or other pads to help draw off heat.

Finally, my feeling is that if the cord on the adapter is changing color from HEAT, that simply means that you need to replace that adapter. (I have more often seen adapter cords change color because of exposure to the sun, or just age.)
A cooling pad, or some kind of external fan, might even be a good idea for the power adapter, just to try to keep that a bit cooler!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Can you post what Mac you have?

Also, are you sure the cord turning yellow isn't just from oxidation?

budhardy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
DC
I have a 2017 15” MacBook Pro
[automerge]1595884090[/automerge]
Which MacBook do you have? is it one of the later MacBooks without any internal fan?

Which adapter cord? The one that plugs in to your MacBook? Or the power cord (extension cord) that you might use from the adapter to your power strip/wall receptacle? Or, do you still use the "folding blade" that plugs the adapter directly into the wall socket (no extension cord)

If your power adapter (not the cords, but the device) is too hot to touch, and that is for your normal use, then you could replace that with an adapter with a higher power rating. "COULD" replace does not mean that is your best choice. The internal power circuitry is designed for a normal power level, to charge the battery, along with providing power to the system. If you have consistent very-high power draw, then it's likely that your MacBook is ALSO getting quite hot.
I think it would be a better experience if you try to control the internal temps in your MacBook. There's a variety of devices sold as "Laptop coolers", mostly fans, or other pads to help draw off heat.

Finally, my feeling is that if the cord on the adapter is changing color from HEAT, that simply means that you need to replace that adapter. (I have more often seen adapter cords change color because of exposure to the sun, or just age.)
A cooling pad, or some kind of external fan, might even be a good idea for the power adapter, just to try to keep that a bit cooler!

I have a laptop fan underneath of my MacBook, and the cord turned yellow after I had the fan underneath. My MacBook uses so much power trying to play planet coaster on my windows bootcamp side. My Mac meets the game’s requirements, so that’s why I think I need a. It’d that can handle more heat and power.

thanks ?

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
The cord turning yellow is not a heat related issue. It's the insulation breaking down. My 4 year old MagSafe 2 charger is yellow from the MagSafe connector 10" down the cable. The insulation feels softer and more pliable than the insulation near the charger end. Similar things happen with the lightning cable that Apple ships.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.