Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicho

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
iOS 10 - or iOSX if you will - should be something revolutionary. after 9 full iterations of iOS, surely we're reaching the peak of what they can add or change for a reason rather than the sake of it.

given that apple seems to be adding new features in more iterative steps, and more than that, making a big deal of them (providing a preview page for improvements in ios 9.3, etc) could iOS be about to have the fallow year it needs to get rid of the bugs and the gripes?

Could we see ios 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.6 and 9.7 through the course of the next 16 months leading up to something big at WWDC 2017?

it seems silly to me to have a new version of ios every year, just because. could apple have finally laid the groundwork to change that pattern?

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Isn't that what the . updates are for? .1, .2, .3 are just bug fixes with like a cool feature that really should have been in the release.

Can't imagine Apple not doing an iOS update. Isn't that what gets posted in the news and gets talked about?

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
iOS is in continual development, there is a release every year to take advantage of new features and new hardware that apple integrate into their products - and point releases in the interim to fix bugs, etc.

Putting out smaller incremental releases every year is a lot safer than holding back features for years and then trying to get them released and bug-free all at the same time in one massive release.

10 is just a number. iOS 10 will be an incremental upgrade just like the rest of them.

nicho

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
iOS is in continual development, there is a release every year to take advantage of new features and new hardware that apple integrate into their products - and point releases in the interim to fix bugs, etc.

Putting out smaller incremental releases every year is a lot safer than holding back features for years and then trying to get them released and bug-free all at the same time in one massive release.

10 is just a number. iOS 10 will be an incremental upgrade just like the rest of them.

but things like education management and night shift. they're the sort of things apple would normally put into the next full release rather than a point release.

i'm not talking about them holding back features - perhaps there's nothing big to really add anymore, and they can all be integrated as and when in point releases. it depends on their code base, of course, but you'd assume this was in place by now.

a big release every year essentially halts all worthwhile bug fixing and feature improvement from june through the end of september, and introduces even more new bugs with new features. it'd be nice if they took this year just to iron everything out. like apple used to do with OSX before mountain lion. you could say they still do with the tick-tock approach, where el capitan is supposed to refine yosemite etc, but if apple can still improve ios 9 without the drama and burden of a whole new software cycle, wouldn't that be better?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
but things like education management and night shift. they're the sort of things apple would normally put into the next full release rather than a point release.

i'm not talking about them holding back features - perhaps there's nothing big to really add anymore, and they can all be integrated as and when in point releases. it depends on their code base, of course, but you'd assume this was in place by now.

a big release every year essentially halts all worthwhile bug fixing and feature improvement from june through the end of september, and introduces even more new bugs with new features. it'd be nice if they took this year just to iron everything out. like apple used to do with OSX before mountain lion. you could say they still do with the tick-tock approach, where el capitan is supposed to refine yosemite etc, but if apple can still improve ios 9 without the drama and burden of a whole new software cycle, wouldn't that be better?

Bugs only get found if the software gets out to enough people.

I agree they could do with better quality control and more bug fixing, but i don't think that means they're going to postpone iOS 10.

nicho

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Bugs only get found if the software gets out to enough people.

I agree they could do with better quality control and more bug fixing, but i don't think that means they're going to postpone iOS 10.

you're correct. but at the same time, they could introduce new features over two point releases without the drama of a big and perhaps unnecessary full release. they'd probably then have their best performing OS ever by that point, rather than making changes for the sake of it and people calling them out on stuttering and lag for 3 or 4 point releases to follow (ie, the next 11 months) in an endless loop.

liledd

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Pittsburgh
image.png
image.png
image.png

They have a lot to work on! I barely have hope for iOS 10. I don't expect all this in one update so they got plenty of years to fill in the holes.

Reactions: Zirel

nicho

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
View attachment 616396 View attachment 616397 View attachment 616398
They have a lot to work on! I barely have hope for iOS 10. I don't expect all this in one update so they got plenty of years to fill in the holes.

see, there's a lot there but there's very little that's so game changing they couldn't add it iteratively over point releases.

isn't spotlight already "system-wide" though? it relies on developers plugging into the API (e.g. the guardian news app already does this and if i search it throws up relevant news articles) and it's their fault they haven't done so, not apples.

transit maps can be and have been updated server side, it doesn't need another update to add any more.

severe weather alerts are already present since ios 6 - every iphone sold in japan is plugged into their weather alert system, for instance. see this also: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/07/05/ios-6-delivers-emergency-alerts-to-iphone-users/

apple music favourites playlist is already possible - but requires use of itunes for management as with all smart playlists. i have one set up.

the key ideas of yours i really like are touch id on hidden photos and blocking unknown numbers. both would be so simple to do. i'd also like to expand on that and be able to reject a call and ignore for 2 hours, for example, if there's someone annoying drunk calling you etc. but you potentially need to receive a call from a blocked number e.g. work the next morning

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 10 - or iOSX if you will - should be something revolutionary. after 9 full iterations of iOS, surely we're reaching the peak of what they can add or change for a reason rather than the sake of it.

given that apple seems to be adding new features in more iterative steps, and more than that, making a big deal of them (providing a preview page for improvements in ios 9.3, etc) could iOS be about to have the fallow year it needs to get rid of the bugs and the gripes?

Could we see ios 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.6 and 9.7 through the course of the next 16 months leading up to something big at WWDC 2017?

it seems silly to me to have a new version of ios every year, just because. could apple have finally laid the groundwork to change that pattern?
It's simple, major new iPhone hardware launch needs a new software launch at the every least (and likely mostly) for public perception reasons.

nicho

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
It's simple, major new iPhone hardware launch needs a new software launch at the every least (and likely mostly) for public perception reasons.

i hate public perceptions.

i wish apple could spin iphone 7 into being "their best ios 9 device yet" or something, and save us the summer of frustration and betas.

liledd

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Pittsburgh
see, there's a lot there but there's very little that's so game changing they couldn't add it iteratively over point releases.

isn't spotlight already "system-wide" though? it relies on developers plugging into the API (e.g. the guardian news app already does this and if i search it throws up relevant news articles) and it's their fault they haven't done so, not apples.

transit maps can be and have been updated server side, it doesn't need another update to add any more.

severe weather alerts are already present since ios 6 - every iphone sold in japan is plugged into their weather alert system, for instance. see this also: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/07/05/ios-6-delivers-emergency-alerts-to-iphone-users/

apple music favourites playlist is already possible - but requires use of itunes for management as with all smart playlists. i have one set up.

the key ideas of yours i really like are touch id on hidden photos and blocking unknown numbers. both would be so simple to do. i'd also like to expand on that and be able to reject a call and ignore for 2 hours, for example, if there's someone annoying drunk calling you etc. but you potentially need to receive a call from a blocked number e.g. work the next morning

I mean system wide by swiping the screen with 3 fingers to the right will bring up proactive search in any screen.

Yes transit is server side but it would be nice to have in here in Pittsburgh. It's only in bigger cities right now.

With weather notifications, just give me a notification or alert that There's a severe snow storm coming, or anything coming, etc.

The Apple Music hearted playlist in smart playlist is not effective enough. It only shows the ones currently in my music library. They just all need to go into a playlist and be included with the top rated or last played section without management. Spotify has this with the Stars and is really nice.

And that's probably why the unknown number blocking isn't a feature. They should give us an option though. I would like all these to be implemented though, I'm big on them updating FaceTime and safari. It be nice to have a downloader in safari or to group FaceTime. Messages needs improvement too. All over more settings options though.

Mr Beardsley

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2015
Yes, Apple absolutely has to release a new version 10 of iOS. You are only looking at releases as an end user, but what you are forgetting, is iOS also provides APIs for app developers (both internal Apple teams, and external). Major release versions are the time to deprecate, remove, and make breaking changes to those APIs. Minor version releases very, very, very rarely do these things, and for good reason.

Right now, with the current yearly schedule for major releases, developers can look forward to breaking changes once a year. Moving to a schedule where breaking changes trickle out throughout the year would be an ever loving nightmare for developers. Certain software products can get away with constant small releases over time, think websites or end user apps, but for things where developers depend on an interface, regular timed releases are a far better system.

Also, if you do not like betas, then don't install them. There is no harm in waiting for final release versions.

Reactions: Statusnone88

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I'd be happy with fixing up the animation/transition delays and a dark theme.

Instead what I'll get is further butchering of the Music app and somehow the Messages app will be turned into a store.

nicho

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Also, if you do not like betas, then don't install them. There is no harm in waiting for final release versions.

I never said I disliked betas for the reason you suggest; I do wait for the final versions.

I said I dislike the big release beta period because it stifles development for 4 months. Minor releases have been shown at Apple to be worked on concurrently. If they have major api changes they need to make that's a fair enough reason but if it's just for the sake of it...

The Apple Music hearted playlist in smart playlist is not effective enough. It only shows the ones currently in my music library. They just all need to go into a playlist and be included with the top rated or last played section without management. Spotify has this with the Stars and is really nice.

Are you talking about stuff you've "loved" on Beats 1 etc but not added to your library? I don't get access to beats radio in China so I wouldn't know about that side.

perfect_

Suspended
Feb 8, 2016
im writing this reply for title.

You dont need Apple device. 3310 enought for you. its a best device. its fast, has a alarm clock and you even call anyone and the best part of device it has a snake game. Woaw!

nicho

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
im writing this reply for title.

You dont need Apple device. 3310 enought for you. its a best device. its fast, has a alarm clock and you even call anyone and the best part of device it has a snake game. Woaw!

does it have a spell check?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.