Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2013

I've just ordered one. Reading your posts, I feel like we're searching for the same kind of monitor.
What kills picture quality for me is anti-coating. Text doesn't look as sharp when there is anti-coating on the display. And I also love high brightness.

I'm a developer, so I really love to see sharp text. I'm waiting for my Eve display, it should arrive in 2-3 weeks.
But from what I saw, that's the display that will meet almost all my needs. I would like that it was 5K, but it's not. 4K will do.

Apple display would serve me great, but it's too expensive for what they offer (imho). And it doesn't work great with non-macOS.
The anti-glare coating on my late 2015 5K iMac annoys me. It does make things look a bit fuzzy. I'm really curious to see if the Studio Display improves on this.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
My thinking is, for around 2,000 dollars you're getting what I consider a subpar monitor that lacks features that other 2,000 dollar monitors do have. I just think you're paying a premium for the apple logo, and you'll get more bang for your buck. I mean the LG monitor that Apple was selling was about 1,300 bucks. Dell offers a 40 inch 5k monitor for 2,000 dollars.

Its not my money, and ultimately you have to be happy with what ever you choose.

I wouldn't qualify him as a gamer first because I feel his perspectives are for the general public. I'm not the only one commenting on the lack of promotion for this monitor, and I don't think its a gaming thing. I mean consider how so many people love the faster refresh on the iPhone, and iPad. They talk about how smooth everything is and its a great experience overall.

Now with the said, I'm one of those odd characters who really don't see/notice the faster refreshes. I tried seeing how it differs on my iPad Pro and my wife's non-pro iPad and I don't notice any differences. My laptop has a faster display and likewise, switching to 120 or back to 60, doesn't mean anything to me, so I too would not be worked up about the refresh rate. I think brightness and HDR are things that would be very important.

Alright, I'll eat crow and now that reviews are out you were right - the display isn't worth the money, nor are any of my assumptions of the display quality correct.

Well - Looks like I'll stick with my 27" LG 4K USB-C monitors for the next few years.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
The difference is huge, every time I sit in front of something old with around 100 DPI it feels like it’s broken.

The 5K2k isn’t as sharp as the Apple displays but it’s sharp enough from a normal viewing distance. I love mine

Decided to go with the 31.5" LG Ultrafine 4k. You are correct, huge difference from my existing 34". Really happy actually, it is only now I realise just how bad macOS looked on my old monitor.

Reactions: grmlin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.