Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenBatsir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2020
After 10 years (give or take) with android, I made the switch to an iPhone.

Now things that used to be super trivial so far were gone.

The most annoying thing for me is the quick dial widget that I used most often.

I've download several app widget from the App store (even paid for some) only to find out I need to do more than a single tap to make a call.

For instance: once I've customized everything (arranged icons + added photos for each contact), I tested it but once I tap on a contact, it opens another screen in which I need to click call button once again (WHY?!).

The best workaround I've found so far is using the Shortcuts app, but then I'm ending up with either of the 2 below options:

1. one tap contact icon on the home screen (individual ones) - but they're not grouped together as a widget, so every time I'm installing an app, they might be rearranged by a non-contact icon.
  2. Using Shortcut as a widget, but I cannot choose photos
I will gladly pay for a honest widget that actually does this simple job.

Are there any?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Haven’t come across a one tap call solution but how about using Siri? “Call xyz” - would that maybe be a convenient workaround?

BenBatsir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2020
Haven’t come across a one tap call solution but how about using Siri? “Call xyz” - would that maybe be a convenient workaround?
feels kinda awkward to me using this voice activated feature (imagine myself doing it on the train on my way to work... no)

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
Unfortunately the widgets in iOS doesn't actually "do" anything, when comparing to how they are on Android.
They can refresh information from apps in background to make information easy to glance at, or open apps at specific places (like Procreate widget can open last project).

You could try if there is shortcuts to add in widgets with the app "Widgy", but otherwise I think a shortcut to a number is the closest to a solution.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
feels kinda awkward to me using this voice activated feature (imagine myself doing it on the train on my way to work... no)

That makes sense of course, I’d feel the same on public. It was unfortunately the only idea that came to mind.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
One option would be to use the Favorites from the phone app.

I do have a solution for a single tap calling from your home screen, with the ability to add a picture for each and group all of them together in a folder. I would suggest adding a folder named "Contacts" in the Shortcut app. Create a new shortcut under the Shortcut "Contacts" folder. Each of the single app shortcuts would be:
  1. Add Action: Call. Select the Contact you want to call.
  2. Select the upper left hand corner, assign the phone icon to the shortcut.
  3. You can leave the name of the shortcut as "Call".
  4. Select the blue circle in the upper right hand corner.
    • Select "Add to Home Screen".
    • Under HOME SCREEN NAME AND ICON, Select the icon, Choose Photo.
    • Select the upper right corner "Add".
To group all the single tap call shortcuts together on your home screen:
  1. Initially you will need 2 of your single tap call shortcuts. Select the single tap call shortcut on the home screen until it wiggles, Drag the single tap call shortcut on top of the second single tap call shortcut. This will create a folder. Click on the folder and this will take you into the folder. This will allow you to name the folder.
  2. After each new single tap shortcut is added to the home screen, you would select it until it wiggles and drag to the folder you created.

Reactions: svenmany

BenBatsir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2020
One option would be to use the Favorites from the phone app.

I do have a solution for a single tap calling from your home screen, with the ability to add a picture for each and group all of them together in a folder. I would suggest adding a folder named "Contacts" in the Shortcut app. Create a new shortcut under the Shortcut "Contacts" folder. Each of the single app shortcuts would be:
  1. Add Action: Call. Select the Contact you want to call.
  2. Select the upper left hand corner, assign the phone icon to the shortcut.
  3. You can leave the name of the shortcut as "Call".
  4. Select the blue circle in the upper right hand corner.
    • Select "Add to Home Screen".
    • Under HOME SCREEN NAME AND ICON, Select the icon, Choose Photo.
    • Select the upper right corner "Add".
To group all the single tap call shortcuts together on your home screen:
  1. Initially you will need 2 of your single tap call shortcuts. Select the single tap call shortcut on the home screen until it wiggles, Drag the single tap call shortcut on top of the second single tap call shortcut. This will create a folder. Click on the folder and this will take you into the folder. This will allow you to name the folder.
  2. After each new single tap shortcut is added to the home screen, you would select it until it wiggles and drag to the folder you created.
so basically your solution is my first approach (AKA #1) + grouping them together to a folder?
If the answer is yes, it's not really what I'm looking for because a folder is not a widget and eventually I'll need 2 taps:

1. open the folder
2. choose the contact

or maybe I got it all wrong?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
so basically your solution is my first approach (AKA #1) + grouping them together to a folder?
If the answer is yes, it's not really what I'm looking for because a folder is not a widget and eventually I'll need 2 taps:

1. open the folder
2. choose the contact

or maybe I got it all wrong?
No, not single tap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.