Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I was trying to write and post a movie review on Fandango this morning, when I hit the character limit. I already had written my review in Apple Notes and wanted to paste it in from there.

The problem was that Fandango's mobile app doesn't have a character counter, so it will tell you if you are over the limit, but not by how much. Apple notes will give you a word count but not a character count. Ditto for Pages, ByWord and several other iOS text editors that I tested.

I even tried sending an iMessage to myself because Messages app does support character counts for SMS, but that was being sent as an iMessage, so no character count there either.

I've exhausted the text editors that I know about, plus the ones that I found via Google search. Does anyone here know an iOS ( specifically, iPhone ) text editor that displays the character count?

*My iPhone is not jailbroken

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Drafts has both word and character count at the top right if you're fine with the limitations of the free version.
This worked for me. I owned Drafts 4 but it wasn't installed. I installed it and pasted my review into a new document. The character count is to the left of the work count. Nice !

It looks like I was 47 characters over their 1000 char limit.

*Note It looks like Drafts moved to a subscription model. I'm glad that I got it before they made that bad move!

Attachments

• IMG_FA66A8E4B641-1.jpeg
    IMG_FA66A8E4B641-1.jpeg
    601.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Reactions: Jessica Lares
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.